Sunday, June 7, 2009

Just Keep Swimming

We just got done talking to Jordan on the web cam, which is so much more fun than having a conversation on the phone. He is happy and chugging along. He's been selling for a week and has made two sales, but he says things feel better each day as he gains experience. All of the other boys are doing similarly, except Dillon who has a previous years experience and is a born salesman so is doing quite well. Jordan says their ward is "different" and that he is pretty sure that the further you move from Utah the more "different" it must be. I told him I thought Utah wards could be pretty "different" themselves, but I have a hunch that much of the "difference" can be attributed to the fact that this is the first time any of the boys have been out of Young Mens and in Elders Quorum, and I think in truth the further you move from the youth the more "difference" you see. I'm sure things will eventually feel more like "home".

I do worry a little about their eating habits because they have no time to cook since they get home at around 9:00 every night, but he says they are eating lots of pasta with canned sauces and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. He said fruit is too expensive. Oh, I remember those days and it makes me want to send care packages every week. I am also a little worried about their lack of time, because he said they have decided to cut each others hair. I'm just positive that they will lose credibility at the doors, but he assures me that he will be wearing a hat. I'm very anxious about next weeks web cam call:0
"Hello, is baldy there?"
"Which one?"
We miss him and his friends and their enthusiasm. Mikayla told him today that home is kind of boring without him here. It will take some time for us all to find our own comfortable niches again.

Our Bishop drove back into town, from Kansas, this weekend to be released and a new bishopric was put into place. The transition has been so much more gradual with the way things have worked out that it has been nice not to have that emotional shock that comes with these types of changes. We love Bishop Waltman and it is hard to say goodbye, but I know that change is always reinvigorating and helps us grow.

Mikayla and Eden and I head off to girls camp this coming week. It has come so quickly on the heals of Jordan leaving and school letting out that I don't feel emotionally prepared to leave home so soon, but prepared or not here we go. I'm sure it will be a great experience, it always is, but being in an administrative role with that many female hormones all in one place, always makes me a little anxious. Last year I had to make some hard calls and that is often lonely and never fun.

I am looking forward to getting back and being able to just breath in and out and let summer soak in. Unfortunately Fred's school schedule is as fast paced and stressful as ever in the summer, so we will still have to structure memorable family time, but we have no calendared plans the rest of the summer except an "adopted family" reunion that is close by talk of going to Blackfoot to see Fred's friend Rick and going on a family camp out somewhere.

Fred was able to capture a goldfinch couple that have been frequenting our yard this week. They are so tiny and have such "bouncy", energetic flight patterns that at first I thought we had some hummingbirds visiting. They kept perching and feeding on our cornflowers which have such fragile meadow flower-like stems that it was quite amazing. Just to give you some perspective, the fully bloomed flowers in the picture are about the size of a quarter. I was curious so I did a little research: the male is on the right and the female on the left.





We are anxious and empathetic and excited for the new direction that Joseph and Camille's life has been directed in and our hearts and prayers are with them as they are with all of you. Isn't it interesting and comforting (in a wrenching kind of way) to know that we are not solely in charge of our own lives. I mean we can be if we want to limit ourselves to our puny understanding and insight, but He sees the end from the beginning and will guide our steps if we let him. I told Mom and Dad that I feel like the ranch has been His potters wheel--shaping and molding so many of us in so many different ways.

--
Posted By Once Upon a Time to KEEPING UP WITH THE JONESES at 6/07/2009 03:37:00 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.