Saturday, September 11, 2010

Little Moments

After watching "Gone With the Wind" on our family vacation, I said I had never met anyone like Melanie, and to that level of selflessness and refusal to see the faults in anyone, I haven't, but it dawned on me today, during Young Women's, that the Laurel advisor in our ward is as close as I have ever been personally acquainted with that kind of a personality and I'm grateful to have realized an example that isn't fictitious; it makes attainment seem more hopeful.......a tiny bit:)

Jordan is almost ready, temporally, to leave.  We have spent a lot of time shopping and he's becoming quite skilled with the process.  He came home from the thrift store last week, with a very nice, lightly used pair of quality missionary shoes for $5!  Except for one more suit, his list is almost checked off and he's packing as we go, so it is feeling very close and exciting.  It's a weird thought to watch him gradually pack up everything he owns and slowly move out of his bedroom.  We've never gone through that kind of a "complete" move before and to think of the room as Abe's and not "the boys" is an odd mindset, but it means growth and new experiences and good things to come -- and so far I'm feeling stable, emotionally.

Jordan and I have been going to our stake's Humanitarian workshops every week. He, because he has been asked to fulfill the priesthood role there and I to support him in a room full of women:)  It has been fulfilling.  I've gone before, but it is in the morning and it's easy to let other things take precident, so I'm glad to have this opportunity to force myself to make it a priority.  We tie quilts together and string school bags and all the grandma's ooh and aah over Jordan being there, willing to tie a baby quilt with pink yarn:)  One of them did make a comment that sounded like she thought he was my husband, instead of my son, and I don't think that was very flattering to him.  I can't say that I was even very flattered, as looking 19 when you are really 40, takes away some credibility and wisdom.  Oh well, the older I get the less I realize I have of either anyway:)

Mikayla's ACT testing is next week and then starts the down-slide towards her college preparation.  She is a rock in our family and everyone, including me, count on her for so many things; either to help us feel better,  act better, or be better.  It will leave a big hole here when she ventures out into the wide world.  She is still working diligently at editing her summer movie and I hope will be able to finish before her best friend goes off to BYU-I in the winter.  I'm excited to see what comes from all of the work she, Tessia and Jordan have put into it.  The technology that she is adept at, boggles my little brain cells.  

She has gained respect from a few young men from school, who spent a good part of last year, "heckling" her about her religion, and I have been impressed with her quiet steadfastness and loyalty.  Sometimes her wide reach of acceptance is a concern to me, probably because of my narrow one, but we talk often and I think each of our views  help to balance the other out. 

Volleyball disappointment seems to have floated, unsurprisingly, and easily out of Eden's head and she has changed her focus of interest to auditioning for one of the musicals in Music Theatre of Idaho next season. There are some fun, wholesome choices and I think the auditioning experience would be a good one for her because this is something she's very good at, and something she loves, not just a social desire.  She had to quit pursuing the drama/ theater experience at school because the standards were getting lower with every grade.  The downside is, that if she made the cut, the schedule for 8-10 weeks prior to opening, is even more intense than a sports schedule, and she would have to give up many other things that are important to her, so Eden, Fred and I are trying to decide if it's worth the experience.   Auditions aren't until November, so we have some thinking time.  In the meantime she's enjoying being a sports spectator and the boys who jockey for position to sit by her at the games are enjoying it even more:)  The young men's presidency in our ward say she causes quite a bit of "contention" among the teachers quorum.  

School is in full swing and all the children are happy with teachers and enjoying renewed purpose.  My mornings are full of Jordan and cleaning, my afternoons are full of guiding children's homework and responsibilities and creating a dinner "experience", which can be challenging (if I'm going to require everyone to be home at a certain time-- and together, then I have to have something to be there for).  Evenings I just look forward to Fred coming home and seeing if we can squeeze the tiniest amount of family time in before bedtime routines.  Sometimes it feels like no matter how hard we try, there is no family "down" time, so the weekends are precious and guarded.  I can see date night, for Fred and I, getting more challenging as Jordan leaves and the girls get involved in the fun, sociality of High School, but we've had a nice long babysitter run. This may be the start of a different dating season of our lives and we might have to plan "Living Room" or Saturday dates occasionally, but date night is the highlight of my week, so I'll take it wherever and whenever I can get it, as long as it is at least weekly.  Fred is my anchor -- and it's fun to get all dressed up every week and walk around with the nicest looking guy in town! :)

The "older" crowd in our family watched the movie "Arranged" that Mom suggested last week and thoroughly enjoyed it.  There were some humorous "boyfriend cameos", that we rewound numerous times, and am now afraid Jordan may try to impersonate, but it would be difficult to duplicate that level of disturbing (one in particular) so maybe we are safe:) The movie had a great message and I loved seeing a little bit into the good of other people's worlds.

Mikayla and Eden went on a photo shoot with Desi and Camille right after our vacation and before school started  They had so much fun and got to know their fun, young "aunts" better, which was the highlight.  They learned a lot and got some great pictures to boot.  Thanks Desi and Camille for taking the time out of your busy, mother schedules.  It meant a lot to the girls and to me.


FAVORITES FROM MIKAYLA AND EDEN'S PHOTO SHOOT:
(From Mikayla's Camera)













































































(From Eden's Camera)
























































(From Desi's Camera)























































































































































































































































(Photos's From Camille's Camera -- Still Coming)

FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL:








--
Posted By Bloomers to KEEPING UP WITH THE JONESES at 9/05/2010 08:26:00 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.