Monday, October 1, 2012

Jordan Eve

One of Jordan's favorite companions and first trainee called me from the mission home in Chile tonight to confirm, for the second time, that we had the correct flight information and would be at the airport on Tuesday to pick Jordan up. I assured him that we would most definitely be there!=)  He let me know that he had just left Jordan an hour previously, after attending his farewell party, and had a sweet message from him to us. What a joyful and reassuring phone call to receive. This is truly a church of order. In what other circumstance could a mother let a child go halfway around the world with absolute confidence that they are, at every moment, in the Lord's hands. I have missed my boy, but these two years have been a beautiful and rewarding experience for all of us!

Speaking of being in the Lord's hands, I received a phone call, out of the blue, from my cousin Kathryn, a few days ago. Apparently, she had been reading my blog, something which I doubt is a frequent activity of hers, but which I can only imagine was prompted by a link on Facebook to my Morrison Center letter, and she happened to notice that Abe was having trouble finding insects for his Science project and also noticed that we were coming to Utah for conference. All of those things were in different posts, so she must have either been reading for some time or been guided to which ones to read. In a gesture of pure concern and goodwill, she phoned to tell me that she is an entomologist and has a collection of 100 insects that she was willing to let Abe use for his class. She lives 45 minutes away from the conference center but offered to drive it in to us in Salt Lake. I certainly won't make her do that, but I was stunned. I have not seen or communicated with her in years, and so subsequently, we don't know each other very well, but she was reaching out to help and offering something to a 13 year old, whom she has never met, which is valuable to her, because she had compassion for his situation and because she was in a position to help. I talked to Abe's teacher, fully expecting the offer to be denied since it would relieve Abe from collecting or mounting any more insects, and was baffled when he not only approved the donation, but eagerly endorsed it, with the only stipulation being that Abe label them (with my cousins help) and give her credit on his display for the donation. My cousin already has them all labeled but she offered to dismantle that part of the display so that Abe could accomplish the assignment. I wonder if I will ever cease to be amazed by the kind, selflessness of others. Probably not until I learn to be unselfish.

Such fun happenings this week. Lori organized a sisters birthday luncheon for Renee and I so the three of us and Liz and Marg, all met at a cute restaurant in Meridian where the girls paid for our birthday lunches and we all chatted and laughed for an hour and a half. It is good to have those bonding times, though it can sometimes be crazy for us to coordinate so many schedules and juggle children. I love the tradition. A couple of days later our entire, now fully released YW presidencies (there were different counselor changes over the years serving with the same president) had a luncheon and shared a similar experience of just sitting and visiting and laughing as "sisters". I'm not much of a good girly friend, but these rare moments spent visiting with women I love are treasures. Friday, Lily and Sophie got to go to a b-day sleepover at Annalie's, which I think was the highlight of their month, and on Saturday we got Eden ready for Homecoming, then watched the General R.S. Broadcast on our computer, then attended a 50th Anniversary celebration for a couple, whose family we love. It was such a sweet and celebratory atmosphere all week. We are so blessed to be a part of so many good people's lives.

We looked all over town for a modest dress for Eden's Homecoming dance, but (shocker) couldn't find one, so I ended up buying a strapless dress, again, that had a shawl I could use for extra cloth. Eden wanted sleeves, not a shrug this time. I have all kinds of shrug patterns, but of course no sleeve patterns for a strapless dress because the bodice isn't designed for sleeves. I don't do spontaneity, but Eden really wanted something different so I jumped (actually gingerly stepped with my pinky toe) into the dark abyss of original creativity and finally, after much trial and error, stumbled upon an idea that was both modest and Eden approved--it was a week long struggle and I was concerned with the comfort and mobility of the design, but Eden gave the thumbs up so I took the risk and sewed it all together. She looked darling on Saturday night, but came home with some sore looking rub marks from the lack of professional design and seamstressing. I'll have to figure out a modified design if the dress if to be worn again comfortably, but next dance I am hoping she will let me off easy and be persuaded to "want" the jacket look again. Imagination and construction are not two ideas that mesh very well for me--give me one or the other, please.

My white board says "2 more days until Jordan comes home!", but it is after midnight so technically he comes home tomorrow! It is 3:30am in Chile and I wonder if he can sleep, knowing he is leaving a country and people that he loves and flying to another country and people that he loves, to start a different chapter of his life. He will be getting on an airplane there Monday evening. We have, just this weekend, started receiving "warnings" from recently experienced return missionary moms that "being home" can be hard and disconcerting. We've heard some heart-wrenching transition experiences. We have tried to prepare ourselves--we've tried to prepare Jordan. I am hoping he can hit the ground running, but we know this is something that we can't do for him. Next steps can be so difficult--I KNOW--but we just have to push through and keep moving forward.

Quote of the Week:

"Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books that are now written in a very foreign tongue. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer."--Rainer Maria Rilke


Eden's Afternoon Homecoming Date
Eden's darling friend came in from Eagle to do her hair
Pretty girl
Lucky boy
Ready for the dance





No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.