Sunday, March 24, 2013

Yield: To Give Way to Influence, Entreaty; to Move or Bend

Fred and I watched "Enchanted April" last week--one of our favorite movies--and I've been contemplating minds "slipping sideways" and thinking of my mind in particular. It has been one of those months for paradigm shifting. It started out with a desire to help a young friend with modesty and has turned into hours of researching and studying and sharing of minds with dear friends and has instilled in me a desire to strengthen myself and my family in many areas. It has given me a passion to understand the core of honor and integrity and self worth. At the same time, I started a book called "Bonds that Make Us Free" and that has opened my mind, with unusual clarity, to some aha moments about choice and responsibility and joy. And as usually happens when we start looking for answers for someone else, I have found many more of my own, which just reinforces the behavioral certainties that we can't change anyone else and that the best advocate for change is desire.

The most important thing that I have been reminded of, over and over again, by the church leaders I have studied, and also by the most spiritually beautiful mentors in my life (part family, part friend) is that the root of every struggle and every strength can be measured by the depth of our testimonies and the intimacy of our relationships with our Heavenly Father and Savior. Even after all of the hours and insights it always boils down to something simple--not necessarily easy--but always simple. Focus on the one, most important thing and all of the other struggles merge into their proper perspective places. Another thing that I was reminded of this last month, and which I really do often forget, is how much we need each other to learn life's lessons. Family is the nucleus of the gospel and we are ALL tied with that title. So, for your strength, support and sacrifices on my spiritual behalf this month I want to thank my family and friends who shared their hearts and insights. You raise me up.

Fun things this month--Jet, our friend who took the discussions in our home in high school, came back on leave from the military and it happened to fall on the weekend of Lily and Sophie's birthday. Then Jordan and Mikayla planned a surprise visit home from BYU-I so the twins were in heaven, feeling so doted upon. The most thrilling moment was when Jordan and Mikayla sneaked into the back yard and started jumping on the trampoline and Abrahm, Lily and Sophia looked out the kitchen and shrieked with pure delight. That was worth all of the trouble to keep that secret for weeks.

The following week, Jordan came home again, with a missionary companion, to attend a homecoming. Elder Weaver lived in Australia until he was 10 and still has a charming accent. He and our Jordan were kindred spirits in the mission field and I can see why. I think our family may have overwhelmed him a bit--we have a tendency to do that to new friends--but he seemed content and we liked him very much. Some people are so easy to like.

Sunbeams were a bright spot as usual this week. Because of Spring Break, I only had 4 children but they were all ones with "lots of flavor". I spent the first hour just trying to keep them facing forward and watching the Primary Presidency. It didn't look like anything was going "in". But at one point during Sharing Time, the Primary counselor was talking about people in the military protecting our country and one of my 3 year olds, who wasn't paying any attention (I thought), whirls around in his chair and says, "yes, they protect us from drones!" Every adult jaw in the room dropped 3 inches. These children are taking it all in.

Trying to plan uniting family activities for Spring Break, under inside only weather conditions. It's a challenge.
Looking so forward to this week of contemplating the events leading up to Easter. I so wish it was warm here, so I could more fully appreciate the symbolism of Spring. It takes more imagination when the tulips are growing in 20 degree weather! =) Nature doesn't seem to be hindered by it, but I am programmed with an internal heat seeking missile and it is finding no targets.

Jet home on Leave--sparring with Eden and "cooking".
Happy 9th Birthday our lovely twineroo's
Lily Lu
Sophronia
Decorations--compliments of their siblings
Celebrating with a full family
(Jordan and Mikayla came down as a surprise present!)
  
Jordan and Jordan
(Meeting Elder Weaver--our Jordan's mission "brother")
  
Darling Boys
We all loved him too!
Playing with Lily and Sophia's birthday face paints
Our little sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.