Monday, January 12, 2009

Movies Worth Seeing

As I grow older I am learning that when art and virtue are at their pinnacles, magic happens. Magic can be profoundly dramatic and moving. However, I am also learning that as long as virtue is always at it's pinnacle, art can meet at a lower point and the merging can still be profound. The opposite is never true. Because of that, I am finding that I enjoy movies that may not be in the running for academy awards, in fact, that may not be in the "running" for anything, but that portray a good message delivered by mediocre performances. I have not yet learned to appreciate virtuous messages delivered by painful performances (and of course those classifications are the product of opinion).

There is a trend recently, of good people trying to have a positive effect in the media. I have felt that in Douglas Gresham's work, and with Walden Media's mission. I have seen it in lesser art forms in the productions of Michael Landon Jr. and the baptist pastor brothers, Stephen and Alex Kendrick. With my sister and brother-in-laws recommendation, Fred and I went to see this congregations latest film "Fireproof". The main actor is great, most are mediocre, a few bit parts are hard to swallow, but the message was positive and moving and virtuous and when the lights came up, Fred and I worth both crying and were surprised to find a whole slew of extended relatives behind us, doing the same.

If you are looking for a few uplifting movies, not incredible art, I recommend "Fireproof" for a date movie and "Saving Sarah Cain" for a family movie. If lesser art inhibits your enjoyment of a movie, don't bother with either. Hope you enjoy!

P.S. Just a neat side note that my cousin told us (and that I verified) is that in the scene in "Fireproof" where the husband and wife in the movie kiss, the main actor, who refuses to kiss anyone on stage or off besides his real wife, had the film crew shoot the scene in silhouette so his own wife could come into the shot and he could kiss her instead. That's virtue!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.