Sunday, April 5, 2009

Peace

I LOVE CONFERENCE!!! I'm always so sad when it is over., I do have to say that though it is such a blessing to be able to have the technology to experience conference in our home, it is a challenge every session to focus with all of the different distractions that seem to be inevitable in that setting--at least in our home. We have accessible seating for four in our playroom, which is where we watch conference, and since we have eight people that always causes some interference with people trying to hear and see and take notes, and not step on someone elses head (a problem that was causing Eden to rapidly lose the Spirit of the meeting on Saturday). There always seems to be some needed reminders to be reverent and listen, because such close proximity seems to encourage socializing and a bit of obnoxious behavior, which I'm sure more disciplined families don't deal with (I don't know where they inherited that from). It is also a challenge to help everyone stay alert and not revert to nap time, which is difficult when you have to lay on the floor to listen. However, even amidst the seeming turmoil, the Spirit always seems to permeate our home during the conference sessions, this time especially bringing peace at the end of an emotionally harried week, and make me want to try harder to consecrate my actions into discipleship and focus more fully on finding and creating joy.

Jordan asked a girl to Prom last weekend that he hasn't had the nerve to ever ask out during his whole high school years, and then this week got the opportunity to earn a free full tuxedo rental for that night by "modeling" a tux during a day at school and handing out advertisements. He wore black tails and a baby silver/blue vest and bow tie to school on Friday, with two of his friends. These boys seem to always know somebody who knows somebody where they can be creative and get a deal (this one being worth $75!).

Mikayla's gardening bug is starting to produce results. We have egg cartons all over the kitchen sprouting all sorts of different plants. It seems that no one wants to be left behind in this Spring thing. I have primroses blooming in my kitchen window, Jordan has snapdragons sprouting in a Dixie cup and Abe has a very large cabbage plant that is starting to take over my working space. It's a perfect reminder of this Easter week. I am excited to celebrate each day. I was reading yesterday a suggestion to celebrate coloring eggs and hunts and baskets and dresses each year the week previous to the Easter week as a celebration of Spring and then focusing solely on the spiritual messages during the Easter week. I wasn't prepared to do that this year, so we'll probably still do the "fluffy" stuff on Saturday, but I thought it was such a great idea. I'm going to talk about it in family council tonight and see what my family thinks. Lily and Sophie have such a hard time distinguishing the true meaning of Easter because of their anticipation of the "fun" that I thought getting that "Spring Fling" celebrated so much before would help them anticipate two separate celebrations.

I don't want to be prideful, but Olive has not escaped from our yard for 5 days now! It's quite a success for us. Fred built a new fence section last Saturday. She got out Monday because a wind storm had blown open the back gate and she got out on Tuesday (I have no idea how, sometimes I think she has her own guardian angels), but we have contained her since then. She stalks the back fence and barks and barks and I have guilt like crazy until I can take her out, but at least I know she's safe. We'll see how long it lasts.

"Tuxedo Modeling" day


Sophie's Electric Personality


Signs of Spring


A Spring Windowsill, A New Fence Piece, and A Captive Dog

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.