Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Long Walks Home

Tuesday was the first day of school for our children.  Lily and Sophie were so excited.  I walked them to school and promised I would stay with them until they were ready for me to go.  When their teacher came out to get them in their line on the playground, I could tell that she preferred for parents to leave at that time.  She made a big deal about the kids saying goodbye to their parents, but Lily wasn't ready and a promise is a promise, so three parents ended up going inside with the children.  Two of us stayed in the back of the room, so we would be out of the way, but one little girl was clinging to her mother and wouldn't look at or listen to the teacher or come out from behind her mother.  Sophie and Lily are lucky and have each other to hold onto (which they did).  After about 10 minutes with this little girl causing quite a bit of disturbance, the teacher kindly told the mother that it would be much easier for her if the mother would leave.  The mother seemed fine about that but the little girl went into a tirade, screaming and writhing in the teacher's arms and then I felt guilty for staying.  I got a reluctant thumbs up from both of the girls for me to go and I was feeling so proud of myself for being such a big girl and not getting emotional.  But, as I started walking across that empty schoolyard, the realization that I was walking toward an empty house and past a new milestone started to sink in and then the emotions kicked in with full force.  It was a long walk across that feild, and then Olive met me halfway home.  Olive, who has stayed in the yard all summer since the new fence, knew that it was the first day of school and that meant hundreds of kids on the playground and met me on her way there, so pleased with herself.  So, I redirected her path, picked up a leash on the way past the empty house and Olive and I went on a walk to sort things out.  And we did.  I came home and cleaned like crazy and accomplished much but was surprised to find how much I still had left to do when my time was through.  I stayed busy and the time went so quickly.  I set out a bar full of fresh fruit and vegetables out of our yard and was so excited to walk out my door in anticipation of seeing my children.  It was one of those time where you just feel the intense conviction of your worth as a mother seared into your souls.  It was a good first day, and I have had a week now to gear up for the true change, because Lily and Sophie only went to school one day last week.  This week they will go 3 days and then will alternate with 2 days every other week.  I was kicking against this Kindergarden change, but I think it will actually be a good chance to acclimate for all three of us.



Jordan came home a few days early and surprised us on Thursday morning.  We weren't expecting him until Saturday or Sunday night, but the boys were "done" and drove all night on Wednesday.  Fred was down doing some research on the computer and I was upstairs making the bed, when he walked in.  I didn't hear him, but Fred came flying upstairs and said, "come here, you've got to see this!"  Sometimes he gets excited about things that he discoveres and likes to share, but he was awfully animated, and because I was still in my exercize clothes and hairdo I became a little apprehensive about where he was taking me halfway down the stairs, but he assured me I would be excited.  When I came around the corner, the morning light from our picture window was backlighting two people.  The first person I saw was a large man with dark sunglasses and a marine haircut that I didn't recognize, so I looked next to him and when my eyes registered Braden, Jordan's roomate, standing there I realized who the big man must be.  I screamed and ran into his arms and just stayed there for awhile.  It is so good to have him back home for another week

Of course, Jordan brought Maunzy home with him and we have all fallen in love with him.  He is really the most charming little creature.  Mikayla and Eden have taken complete ownership and moved him, bag and baggage into their room.  Because he is nocturnal, he sleeps all day while we are all busy with work and school and becomes very active in the evening and remains active through the early morning, which has worked out quite nicely, since Mikayla usually gets up at 5:00 to study her scriptures.  He doesn't love being held because that would require him holding still but if you sit in the room he will run over and around you constantly.  He is very friendly, but makes a much better teenage pet.  The twins are constantly disappointed that they can't cuddle him like a baby and they would never be able to catch him.  I'm grateful that my older children are responsible enough to be attentive to his needs so I haven't had that guilt that usually accompanies owning a pet.  I'm sure my turn will come since the average chinchilla lifespan is 15-20 years.



We went to the most interesting fireside last Sunday.  Joseph's Smith's great great grandaughter, a convert of 10 years, spoke to us.  Her conversion story and her experiences growing up with that history (most of which she was not aware of until she did a lot of researching later in her life) were absolutely fascinating.  She is a member of the organization that was instrumental in making the Emma movie a few years ago and is proactive about trying to help "heal" the deep wounds of the "family".  She had such interesting insight in seeing the Lord's hand in Emma staying behind when the Saints moved out west.  It was heartbreaking to learn of the feelings and thoughts that have been passed down through the generations toward Brigham Young but enlightening to have your eyes opened to feelings you didn't know existed or why.  I know I often take too much for granted about the blessings and knowledge that I have in my daily life. 

Congradulations Marg and Rob!  We'll be excited to hear when you pick out a name for your little guy.  I can't wait to see him as soon as we get over these blasted colds.  I'll post a welcome entry as soon as I can get a photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.