Monday, October 19, 2009

Anticipations

It's that festive time of year again where the holidays start to feel tangible, my mind gets caught up in the fun whirlwind of traditions and the cold actually starts to feel purposeful.  It is also the season where my boxing gloves seem to get pulled out of the closet and shined up for the fight between Halloween and Harvest.  It's a sad, ironic statement, but most years it's not the community or schools that I have to fight (they have all crossed over to the strictly Harvest side) it's always mutual or a ward activity or an LDS friends party that makes me uncomfortable.  Why is that!?  I'm so grateful that Ben and Renee have carried on the tradition of the extended family Harvest party and made it into such a wonderful, anticipated celebration of the beginning of uplifting holidays and I'm so looking forward to our own family party where we will sample from our "rare" fruits Basket, play jeopordy, deliver Harvest treats and of course overestimate the amount of fun fall refreshments than we can eat on a fast Sunday Saturday.  I guess we'll have to have to start the edible part of our celebration a little earlier in the day this year, so we can still fit in all the sugar ;[.  I'm hoping Jordans schedule can accomadate a weekend at home and that he can find a ride, but he may end up coming home this week for one of his old roomates farewell talks and I doubt he'll be able to make it both weekends, but we do look forward to his visits.

Mikayla went to visit Jordan at Rexburg this past Thursday through Sunday.  She was able to surprise him, which was fun for her and was able to spend some good hours with him on Friday, getting a tour of the campus.  So far I've asked Liz and Mikayla to scope out the dating situation while they were down there and in both cases the assignment has been disappoiningly unfulfilled.  I am starting to lose my faith in spies. :)  I did talk to Arianna yesterday on the web cam and she seemed like a sweet girl, but I told Mikayla that I don't care if she is the queen of Sheba, I still think he should be dating other girls!

On Wednesday, as Fred was driving home from work, a car in front of him drove off the road at 50 miles an hour, hit a ditch and flipped.  He and another man were able to get the young man, who seemed to be in shock, but fine, out of the car and waited with him until the ambulence got there.  Fred found out his first name and could tell he was a member of the church because of the primary manuals in the back of the car.  We later found out that it was a young man in our stake.  Accidents are hitting much too close to home lately and it's making me nervous.  Mikayla is still driving to school every day, but I am grateful that it is only a couple miles away, that the speed limit is 25 and that she is in a solid steel pickup... and that I can pray!

I noticed that there were test cables across the road at our main intersection in town last week.  I've always been so proud that our town has no stoplights--like a symbolic sign of our small and intimate community.  I have to admit that by Middleton standards that interesection gets quite busy sometimes, but I would be sad to see a light go in.

We had the missionary sisters over for dinner last week.  I love having missionaries in our home--they bring with them such a pure, humble manifestation of the Spirit.  One of them is actually from Boise and was reassigned here from Canada because of health issues and the other one is from Tonga.  They were both  sweet and when they left, the Tongan sister gave Abe a big hug and a kiss on the cheek that he wasn't quite prepared for :)

Tomorrow is the twins first field trip.  In our small town we will be walking to the fire department and then to the grocery store.  Lily and Sophie were both disappointed that they would still not get the experience of riding a bus.  It's a dream that they will have to continue anticipating.

My grand anticipations for this bright new Monday include bread making, laundry folding, job chart revising, house cleaning, personal progress setting, dog walking, letter typing, budget updating, homework helping, twin corraling and I'm sure many other grand illusions that I can't even imagine.  "Rise and Shout!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.