Sunday, January 6, 2013

Fwd: [KEEPING UP WITH THE JONESES] Yield

I take longer than most to learn simple lessons and then to move forward into action, which is why I am just now getting around to solidifying, or at least beginning the process of solidifying, my goals for this new year. A few things have finally propelled me out of pondering and into the beginnings of pursuing. One is that after the holidays a relatively temporal calm settles in for me during January. Another motivator is that Jordan and Mikayla are off to college again and that always seems to include a natural stretching of my wings in order to encompass that distance and in the process, other things seem to be enfolded, inadvertently, but for my good. Lastly, we had a Relief Society lesson today on priorities which really penetrated deep and personally. So....I am recording some thoughts and feelings so that I will both remember and also be held accountable (which is an immensely productive motivator for me!)

I have been thinking quite a bit about words, this past week, after Camille and Mom both posted literarily definitive goals. I have had such trouble pinpointing one word that encompasses all of the most important things that will help me progress, but I have finally discovered one that resonates. I am sure the following will seem boring and disconnected to most people, but it's for me that I record it. More broadly interesting posts to follow shortly. =)

My word for 2013 is YIELD.

Definitions: Websters melded with Personal Clarification and important *rephrasing

--to produce payment, profit or interest--financial independence/opportunity--in return for cultivation or labor expended--responsibility/sacrifice/generosity
*harvest *return *earnings

--to give in, or surrender oneself to superior power or authority--the words of the prophets and ultimately the will of God
*abdicate *bend *defer *submit *succumb

--to give as due--personal obedience

--to cause or give rise to--personal progress

--to give up, relinquish or resign--pride, possessions, past pain, snap judgments
*let go *relax *relent

--to grant or allow--"foreign" points of view, open discussion
 *accept *acknowledge *acquiesce *admit *agree *assent *concede *concur *defer *permit

--to give way to influence, entreaty; to move or bend--open minded gleaning of truth in "unlikely" places--a willingness to alter or change--a sincere effort to see other peoples perspectives and motives--determination to follow the promptings of the Spirit in uncomfortable avenues--daily repentance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.