Thursday, April 25, 2013

All Together Again...For 13 Days

Journaling should be done every day, but there are so many things that should be done every day...and so many things that happen everyday, I always seem to be behind.

So, summary snapshots, here we go:

Fred and I drove down two weeks ago to Rexburg with a rented Suburban and U haul trailer to pick up Jordan, Mikayla and a plethysmograph. Outside of Idaho Falls the pin to the trailer broke right as we pulled off the freeway and the U haul barely missed slamming into the back of the car. Stopped in the middle of traffic, I prayed and Fred played MacGyver by jumping over the overpass bridge railing and finding a scrap piece of aluminum which he wrapped through the pin slot just long enough to get us off the road, unhook our load and drive into town to find a replacement pin at 8:00 at night.

That next day, Fred and Jordan drove to the Rexburg hospital, loaded the R.T. machinery into the trailer, loaded all of the kids belongings in around it and we (I) reluctantly left Jordan to drive back with his girlfriend and started home with Mikayla. The dust and wind gusts were pretty intense and had Fred on the edge of his seat, but there was a 27 car pile-up a little later and the road was closed before Jordan and Katie made it through. They ended up stranded at a gas station from 6:30-10 PM and didn't make it here until 2 AM. Needless to say we felt blessed that we and they had been protected, but staying awake in church the next morning was a challenge. For 13 more days we are all together again.

Katie stayed with us for 6 days--in the playroom--stuffed next to Eden (whose bed was being repaired) and Mikayla (whose bed was being reassembled). It was chaotic here, trying to move two children back into this little space but it was the most enjoyable bit of vacation for me. Fred and the other children all had work and school, but Jordan, Katie, Mikayla and I just visited and cleaned and laughed and cleaned and lounged and cleaned all week long. We all like Katie very much and are glad that she left seemingly unscarred, in spite of the sister in our ward who leaned up to me during Primary last Sunday wanting to know who was with Jordan and if she was intimidated...I wasn't sure how to take that, but I found it a little awkwardly humorous. I seem to have a "intimidating" aura that hovers around me. My Sunbeams haven't seemed to pick up on that presence yet,,,luckily. =)

Renee called before we left to pick up the college kids to tell us that the father of a girl in her ward had just been called to be the president of Mikayla's mission. His wife happened to be in town, visiting from Utah. Renee told her friend about Mikayla and the mission president's wife wanted to meet her. Mikayla called and both she and I were able to go visit for almost 2 hours. It was such a special privilege for me as a mother to meet the woman who will be providing some surrogacy for 18 months. It was a spiritually rewarding and purely enjoyable opportunity. She will be in good hands. Sister Murdoch was a beautiful, tiny, warm and feisty delight The new mission president takes over in July, so Mikayla will beat them, but it will be nice for her to have a familiar face so soon after entering the feild. The Lord is truly watching over us in the smallest details of our lives.

Last week I was able to attend the temple with Jordan, Katie, and Mikayla on Thursday. Fred was able to go that evening with Abrahm to help with baptism's and then Fred and I were able to do family sealings with a small family group. It was a precious experience. I'd love to do that much more often. I'd love to have Jordan and Mikayla in there with us. What a peaceful place!

This week has been marathon shopping to get Mikayla ready to leave on her mission next week. A few more things to pick up, some sewing alterations and she'll be there. I feel like she is poised to learn some great personal lessons and bless some people's lives. I know she is going to bless ours by the Spirit that will be added to in our home. We felt that so strongly with Jordan in Chile. Eternity just seems a little bit closer, probably because our perspective is more focused. I feel like my emotions are just waiting to erupt, but I am holding on fairly well, just trying to remember all of the good that is happening in our lives from sacrificing the company of someone who you so enjoy and love.

Eden headed off to Seattle for the Young Artist's choir tour early this morning. Singing is a love and an outlet for her and she was so excited. I never worry sending my children off with Aunt Linda--I know they are in such good hands. My children love, respect and obey her. The house is quiet and less "fun" without our Eden--leaving a great big hole, even though she's not here much even when she's here. I miss her. I'm sure she is winding down a party wherever she is right now and I can count on Aunt Linda to sing to her and tuck her in tonight, just like she always does each night of tour.

Lily and Sophie both got Flat Stanley packages from Mys and Camille for a school project this week and have been floating in heaven to have that interaction with extended family and the excitement of focused attention and new experiences. What thoughtful and gracious family we have. Thank-you Mys and Camille for making the experience so enjoyable for them and for their classmates. The kids were playing Skaneopolis for hours the day it came and can't wait to share "Happy Hippo" treats with their friends tomorrow. I will be interested to see the photos when they are finally sent home. I'm indebted to you both. If you ever need our help, please just ask.

Jordan is working hard trying to earn money for a plane ticket to New Jersey so he can work even harder, but in an adventurous place. In two weeks this is going to be a melancholy place. It will be temporary--we'll all press forward and fill the missing with each other and communication, but I don't look forward to the inevitable feelings of loss. It will be a blessing that school will be out soon and the emptiness of this house will be vanquished with bits of freedom and chaos, until I grow weary of that and try to implement some structure and order...or just go outside and dig in the dirt. =)
Katie's B-day Picnic at BYU-I
The Rain forest Room at BYU-I
Never ending smiles
Crashing at home after a LONG semester
After our temple session
My darling children...for eternity
Sweet Katie and Kayla
"Reading their scriptures" in the hammock
Playing "Ha-Ha" with friends (and headaches all around afterward).
Silly kids!
Eden's picture window shot:
Saying Goodbye in the pouring rain.
 (never a private moment at the Bloomquist's =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.