Tuesday, May 19, 2015

25th Years and Counting

Today we reached our 25th Anniversary and will be celebrating appropriately (though belatedly) for the occasion in Hawaii, but we could never let the actual day slip by without notice, so we went to our (my) favorite restaurant (by Fred's choosing) and enjoyed the golden melding of outdoor sunset and indoor candle light, while the rain sprinkled on umbrella clad passersby and we enjoyed delicious food, camaraderie, and memories.

After dinner, we decided we weren't ready to call it a night, so decided to watch a romantic movie, but somehow ended up choosing The Imitation Game instead (after 25 years, I occasionally give in to my husband's preferences), which wasn't the lightest choice, in need of some editing, definitely not romantic and caused me to soak my pillow with tears that night. However, in hindsight I realize the experience was sweetly ironic and instructive, as my sensitive movie emotions used to be a bafflement to Fred, and now, without batting an eye, he just quietly comforts. Looking around me, I realize it is a grand accomplishment, this "through thick and thin" thing, and I feel all amazed. We are different than we used to be...more seasoned, less...wide eyed and self consumed, and after all of these years it seems that we are finally learning to understand each other. It takes some of us longer than others, but what an important journey it has been. "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh." "Leave. Cleave. Become One. It sounds so simple, but it has been the most difficult...and stretching...and joyous thing of my life. I can only imagine what the next 25 years will teach us. The last 25 have taught me that love is definitely a continuous choice and the greatest work we will ever do. It reflects and refines and replenishes like nothing else in this world ever could.

 Bess Streeter Aldrich saw inside my heart when she penned the words, which have become the motto for my blog: "I am weaving at a loom with a spindle of hopes and dreams. And no matter...how lovely the pattern-no matter how many gorgeous colors I use, always the center of it is...just a little house in a garden and red firelight and...the man I love...and children...and happiness."
Life is Sweet

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.