Monday, December 22, 2008

One Week

As my children get older and we all get involved in more diversions and responsibilities, it becomes more difficult to find any time to be together as a family. I have been very firm about having everyone home for dinner, but it seems that someone is always running to and fro. We are trying something new this week. This children are out of school and I have calendared the whole week as "family time". No one splits off to do something without the rest of the family. I told them if their friends can't deal with that kind of separation, then they are welcome to come over and spend family time with us, but we will all stay together. We have made plans to play games, do some fun baking, get ready for Christmas, put together friend deliveries, make gingerbread houses, have a taffy pull, go sledding etc. Unfortunately that has also meant my girls are missing out on a cousin Christmas party, which makes me sad, but unless we schedule family time on the calendar, someone always wants a piece of somebody and this is so important to me. I hope it accomplishes the memory building that I desire and not end up being a sad experience for all of the things that we "miss out on". Next week of break the children are welcome to "go crazy" living it up with friends. I'm looking forward to the next two weeks immensely.

Of course I am not ready for Christmas, but I will be done with shopping this morning, if the roads cooperate, and hopefully will be ready by Christmas Eve with everything else. I did much of my shopping online this year, because shopping with the twins in town was so unproductive and draining. Three of my gifts are still not here. The postal tracking has their estimated arrival dates listed as today, tomorrow, and Wednesday. Mikayla suggested that I start praying for them. I will!

I love my big extended family. Merry Christmas to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.