Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Anxiously Engaged

It is pretty certain that Jordan will receive his mission call this Thursday.  At least I hear that it is rare to wait longer than 2 weeks.  It's an interesting experience, this waiting, as a mother.  Different, I imagine, from waiting as a missionary, but it's hard to tell because Jordan doesn't devulge much detail about his emotions or feelings. I've been trying to prepare myself mentally.  I printed off a map of the world and a list of all of the missions, so I could be aware and informed.   It was comforting to see so many familiar names (almost half in North America), but I have also enjoyed learning a bit of geography as I've tried to track down names that I am not familiar with.  I started researching right after listening to a radio show commemorating the 50 year anniversary of the publishing of "To Kill A Mockingbird" and I noticed that one of the missions is in Macon, Georgia.  That was fun.  I keep picturing Pres. Eyring in a room with Jordan's picture on his computer.  I'm anxious to see where the Lord wants him to be.  People keep asking us where he wants to go.  It's a little like people asking you if you want a boy or a girl when you are expecting.  You usually do have an initial preference for one reason or another, but in the end it doesn't really matter what the preference was, because you'd never change it for the world.  We joke about it often, but Jordan assures me that if he gets called to Pocatello,  he won't be disappointed, because he says he knows "there'll be a reason".  I'm not sure there won't be an initial let down but it will never matter in the end.  I know it, and more importantly he knows it, we just can't wait for him to move ahead on this part of his journey, in whatever direction it may be taking him, because ultimately it's only the spiritual destination that has significance, no matter how adventurous remote and foreign places may sound.  One of Jordan's close friends wanted to go foreign, English speaking--he was called stateside, Spanish speaking.  A young man in our ward who just received his call wanted to stay stateside and he was called to Honduras.  In both cases there was a brief adjustment period, but confirmation always comes when your heart is in the right place.

Mikayla is now seventeen.  It's strange because she has felt seventeen to me for so long.  She wanted to go to Wahooz to play miniature golf for her birthday.  It's fun to have those rare times to spend individual time with our children.  That doesn't happen much with many of them, but this past year Mikayla has been my "morning friend" and we read and walk and garden for hours before anyone else is up (except Fred of course who is already at work).  She is so good for me.  She continually motivates me to be more self disciplined and sets a good example of using her time wisely.  She has been captivated by the personality "Color Code" this past month and it has been insightful to take that information and put it to good use in our family.  Fred has used it at work and has had some very positive results with both co workers and students.  It is helping in my quest of learning to understand other people and as a byproduct I am learning to better understand myself.  I'd love to see what "colors" we have in our family.  Mikayla has put some kind of link on Cousin Connection and I am going to have her help me put one on this blog.  It would be fun and enlightening to post the color results on the "Did You Know" for next month.  Anyone game?  If so, go to this link, take the test (It's a fun F.H.E.) and then submit your colors.   http://www.colorcode.com/free_personality_test/

--
Posted By Bloomers to KEEPING UP WITH THE JONESES at 7/11/2010 08:35:00 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.