Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Sister Mikayla: Hello!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mikayla 
Date: Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Hello Family!

This week I had a few exciting things happen =) (Exciting has several meanings)

First I had a super awesome time on Tuesday and Wednesday when we did exchanges with the Spanish Hermanas from Rifle. Yes that means I had to teach in Spanish =O! Which I was super excited about but also I don't know much gospel vocab so I was interesting haha. Although I did realize one thing, for some reason it is less scary to speak Spanish if Spanish is the persons only language haha don't know why. Anyway, me and Hermana Tew went to Rifle and at one point during the day we had a awkward/spiritual experience (believe me, though strange it is possible). We went up to this one apartment and Hermana Tew said that the house we needed was somewhere in these apartments but she wasn't sure which. So we walked around for a bit and then went upstairs and knocked on the door. Lo and Behold it was them! That was cool, but even though the lady was very nice and said we could come in if we would like, she explained that they were having dinner at the moment. Hermana Tew said that was okay, that we could come back later and asked her if we could come back at a specific time on Friday, and the lady agreed. After the door closed Hermana Tew was practically jumping down the stairs out of excitement because apparently in the Latino culture it rarely ever happens that the families set appointments to come back (they just insist that the sisters stop by whenever). So we were walking back to the car and then all of the sudden Hermana Tew got a kind of worried look on her face and said, "Sister I feel like we need to go back". We stood their for a moment and I said, alright If you feel like we need to go back we can. So we said a prayer and began the trek back up to the 3rd floor. We stood their for a moment (because what do we say, "hey we know we just knocked and you told us you were busy and to come back on Friday, but were back again, how are you guys?") Then we knocked and the women's son answered and gave us a strange look. He tried to go and get his mom again, but we said no, talked to him for a little bit, and gave him a restoration pamphlet, then peaced out. It was very awkward, but we felt peaceful about it afterward and knew we did what we needed to, but I'm not going to lie, it is one of the strangest emotions I've felt.

Anyway, that was fun!

I also did a risky thing the other day and prayed for Humility and Charity (I dare you to pray for it =))
Disclaimer on this next story: It was all for the best and heavenly father knows what he is doing. End of Disclaimer.

So yesterday afternoon I began to get a bad headache, but it was time to be done with lunch and get back to work so I just grabbed about 3 Ibuprophens ( I don't know why I never take that much) and downed them and a bunch of water. We went to our next appointment, but as we were teaching I kept forgetting basic words like Book of Mormon and Church (very inconvenient when teaching about the gospel). It had been about an hour and the medicine hadn't kicked in yet! Sister Betts asked if I was alright and I said I didn't feel very good and was starting to feel very carsick and fuzzy minded (which is weird because I wasn't in a car).

Anyway we headed over to the Zellars because he is a magical medicine man (just like you dad!). I told him my head hurt, but I couldn't remember the word for stomach ache so I sort of stood there I'm sure looking like an idiot for a few minutes ( like what do you say you know? "what's wrong with you?" "Uhhhhmmmm... what was that? I can't actually remember... I think I'm here because something is wrong but... well never mind I don't know who I am or what I'm doing here, what can you do for me doctor?")

So he told me to sit down in front of the air conditioner and gave me some water to drink. I sat there, but as people asked me questions and my mind wouldn't produce the answers I began to get very stressed. (you know me I like to look like I know what I'm doing, and not relying on other people a whole ton). So as my mind decided it was on vacation, my body began to get more stressed out and I went into a panic attack and started hyperventilating. It wasn't very fun and the more you fight it the worse it gets, a very out of control feeling. Sister Zellers finally grabbed me and told me to breath. She took me outside and talked to me for a bit about how we have to let people love us, and let things out.

I realized that this was the not so fun object lesson for the prayer I had said earlier. If we won't let other people help us, or if we are too concerned on looking good and being in control (that would be me). How can I expect people to be willing to let me love them?

Lessons and trials are hard, but like C.S. Lewis says, God isn't a senile grandfather who doesn't care what his children do as long as they are content and out of pain. He wants us to be perfect, even as he is perfect. He loves us that much! That much love is painful but worth it.

One of my new favorite scriptures is 1 Peter 4:8 "and above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity preventeth a multitude of sins."

Also Eden- Taylor swift has been reading the Bible! Ecclesiastes 4:9

So those were some of my exciting experiences this week.

I saw that Tessia is engaged! Oh my goodness that is so exciting! Also I love her ring! That's  like the kind of ring I was talking about wanting! Beautiful, I love the vine twistish thing.

Have awesome lives this week and tell me all about them =) Love you all!!

Mikayla =)
Colorado Sunset
Waiting for my turn in El Bano
Testing my skirt for modesty (you only know its modest when  you can
climb up the stairs backward and still remain decent... right mom =) love you)
Me and Alexis being Super excited about a purple fire hydrant
Wide, Awake, and Alert for morning Prayer
Why did the Chicken Cross the Road?
Me and Hermana Tew!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.