Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Sister Mikayla: WWaaazzaaap?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mikayla
Date: Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Hello family!

So I hear you are looking at selling the house (AHHH! that's crazy, I didn't think this would actually happen!) What are the plans, are you looking at some other place in Middleton? Is it a piece of land you have looked at before? That's super exciting! And Crazy! Lily, you had better cough up the money you were planning on giving Mom and Dad for the piece of land so they can buy a horse!
(Rachel note: We merely have a real estate agent coming over to talk about "dreams", there are no other plans than that in the works! Mikayla got a little overexcited. =)

This week has flown by and I'm starting to have weird dejavo moments. I feel like I was just here writing a letter, but the days took forever. Each day feels like a week, and each week feels like a day. I feel like I am inside of Dr. Who's time machine. (its bigger on the inside than it is on the outside).

So one of our investigators, Scott (the one with the long red hair), is moving and so we wont be able to teach him anymore, its kinda a bummer, he was moving right along. Luckily he is going to keep in touch with missionaries, but It would have been cool to see him progress.

Also, fun fact of the day to Mom, Remember how you always thought that Marion berry pie was some sort of mixture of berries? Wrongo! Marion berries are an actual berry. Okay maybe you knew that already, I don't know, but I found out the other day that the Nielsen's (the couple we are staying with) go and pick Marion berries in Oregon, I guess Oregon actually made the berry.
(Rachel note: Fun Fact--It is Razzleberry pie that I always said was a mixture. =)A little confusion there.)

So we went to Zone conference on Thursday which was awesome, except that the Elders used a billion boxes of saran wrap and seran wrapped all of the sisters cars together in the morning . I'm pretty sure there is something in the white handbook against that! Oh well.  It is the last time we will see president Maynes, because the new president will be coming in at the end of this month. I hope for good change! I hope It will be awesome! Sister Maynes quoted Sherri Dew, you will have to look it up, but it said something like:

[Forsaking Satan may require making changes, we might have to change our friends or changes to our wardrobe, there is no such thing as sort of living a virtuous life, or kinda dressing modestly, or mostly paying tithing. 9% tithing isn't tithing, its a donation.]
(Rachel note: Can't find this quote anywhere on the Internet, so if anyone has any ideas, I would love the reference. I found some semi-similar thoughts from Sis. Dew, but nothing that could have been paraphrased this far off.)

The church is testing a new missionary program on our mission and 3 other missions in the church, I think it will be awesome, and we are so lucky to be in the testing program. It's called "Just Serve" the church set up a website called Justserve.org. We are supposed to do community service for 4-10 hours a week  on Tues-Friday from 10-4. You should get on the website and check it out because it lists organizations that have service available in the area to do, its pretty spare right now because they just opened it, but hopefully it will become more inclusive as it goes along.

Sunday was good and Exhausting (I guess the whole Sabbath is a day of rest thing doesn't apply to missionaries haha) We ran into a ton of people who were really open to us doing the prayer approach, we will go back and see them again sometime this week.

We had 4 less active families come to church yesterday! Awesome! That is where most of the focus in the mission is, so far its been going well.

And I'm sorry to say it mom, but being out here has really developed my testimony of Scouting! There are soooooo many investigators and less actives that go to scouts. I think it is really hard for members to fellowship less actives or new or non members, so I bet scouts will stay in for a while!
(Rachel note: I am guilty of wailing and gnashing of teeth when it comes to this topic, but I understand why we keep supporting the program and am trying to be a good girl and keep my mouth closed (most of the time) and sustain my leaders. It is a challenge for me.) =S

Mom and Dad, thank you for teaching me to be polite and refined =) even though people think I'm weird a lot, it has been a lifesaver for me, when I have a rough day here.
(Rachel note: Uuuuuuuuh...my one mother regret--that I tried and failed, with all of my children! =)

I sent some pictures, dandelions grow abundantly and beautifully here!

Love you all, have a wonderful week! Hope to hear from you soon!
Colorado Scenery
Companionship unity exercises
Mountains in Grand Junction at Zone Conference
Fields of Dandelions
Preaching the Word, Colorado Style

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.