Tuesday, July 2, 2013

"The Noonday Sun"

Sunday, June 21
I am still so inspired by "The Work of Salvation" fireside that we were able to view here in our home on the Internet. I didn't even make it through the opening song without tears when I saw that sea of missionaries singing. What an amazing force to see them mixed with local members of ward councils. I saw Kevin Kirkman singing on the last song? That was so much fun. I also saw Pres. and Sis. Murdock (Mikayla's brand new mission president and his wife) listening during Elder Perry's talk. I came bolting off of the couch to point them out to my family and gave most of them a heart attack . =) Out of the hundreds of couples there being trained, what are the chances of them being caught close up on the camera. Tender mercies are in every minute of our lives.

It was so exciting to hear about all of the technological changes being made available to full time missionaries in the near future--Facebook, texting and online interactions of all different kinds--What a testimony to me, almost daily, that Mikayla has been sculpted for "a time such as this".

I have given my children a new pre-requisite for gaining computer time. Instead of just reading anything they want for 30 minutes to get 30 minutes of computer time, I have told them that they can get equal time--up to an hour--for reading scriptures only. I have been shocked by their positive reaction and they often do read scriptures for an hour to get an hour of computer time. Sometimes it is in intervals and sometimes it is straight through, but their has been some good habit initiations begun. Gaining computer time is probably not the best reason to read your personal scriptures and I'm not exactly excited about letting them be on the computer for an hour (truth be told I didn't think they'd read their scriptures that long) =) but my word is my bond and I figure it will all balance out. The consistency of scripture reading can only do them good and will maybe help them form more permanent habits.

This weekend was unique for the fact that Fred and I decided to have a stay-in date to go through and sort all of our files (he suggested it, but I'm sure he did it for me) =) Eden thought it was highly unromantic, but when Fred showed up with flowers after work, she was appeased. =) Of course in order to have a date at home, we had to send the kids out, so we sent them to the "dollar" theatre to see The Crood's. They all seemed to have an enjoyable time and we enjoyed sorting through memory lane. We recycled 3 paper grocery bags full of useless paper because of how we now use the Internet. I won't want to stay "in house" every weekend, but it was fun once. Saturday Fred and I spent all day cleaning out the garage. It felt good to be able to spend so much time just being together and of course being productive. =) I did have to opt out of a baby shower to get that time with him on Saturday, but sometimes we have to eliminate good things to enjoy better things, and it was so worth it to me.

Mikayla's best friend just got engaged. She was afraid this would happen while she was gone and they both are sad in their own ways, but life must go one, and some sacrifices are par for the course, but it's still hard to miss those monumental experiences. I'm happy for Tessia and sad for Mikayla, but I know it will be worth it all in the end.

Cousin Sleepover
Father's Day/ Mom's B-day at the Ranch
Pretty sunsets
A good Sunday

Sunday, June 30
We were sitting in the chapel this morning--the meeting had just started--and I saw out of the corner of my eye that someone was sliding into out bench so I turned my head and there was Jet! My mouth dropped open and everyone started nudging everyone else and he just plopped himself down in the middle of the bench, next to Eden, grinning ear to ear and waved. Come to find out (after the meeting) that he has leave for 2 weeks, but thought it would be more fun to surprise us (which he said was a good call after watching all of our faces). =) I have to admit that was fun. His friends already had his day planned this afternoon, but he will be coming over for FHE and dinner (Eden is on that self assignment for a personal progress goal, so I think I'll shove him into the kitchen with her for the fun of it--just to hear them spar). =) I hope we'll get to see him a few times while he's here--he does seem to take our chaos in stride--even seems to enjoy it a bit. I'm glad he's happy here. We enjoy his company. 

I got an e-mail from an autistic friend of Mikayla's the other day (he randomly e-mails me every once in awhile to share all of the facts and information that he is amazingly able to store inside his head. He was asking for Mikayla's address but he also downloaded plenty of details that he wanted to share. I am now aware of recent marriages, divorces, name changes, and surgeries of various kinds throughout our stake. It was...very..."enlightening"?! =S From anyone else that would be considered gossip, but there is no judging on his part, just information. I would rather not have the information, but he is an interesting boy and a friend to Mikayla so I enjoy hearing from him every blue moon. We are all so different from each other and yet all need the same things...love and growth.

I am so looking forward to this week. I love the 4th of July, but I especially love it in Middleton where the entire day is a community event. I am so glad of that, especially this year when all of our extended family will be out of town and so we will be celebrating without that tradition. It's so good to know we will be surrounded by friends and neighbors wherever we go that day and Eden has promised to stay with us all day so I am a happy mother. Friday my missionary girl will turn 20! I can't believe it...another child who is no longer a teen. We will certainly be thinking of her and celebrating with her in spirit.

Today we are replacing the pool that wore out on us 2 years ago, so my children can make it through these extremely sunny days (prediction of 111 today). I still think it's beautiful in the shade, but Fred does not agree! =) There are neighbors here with pools that are kind and invite my children over to play, but I want them in our own backyard where I can watch them enjoying the summer. I have a little weather gadget on my computer that shows the current conditions for all of the different places that we have family. Today Jordan has flash flood warnings, Middleton should have heat stroke warnings (we're up to 105 here) and Mikayla's weather looks just about perfect, which I think is appropriate. =) None of our cars have air conditioning so Fred comes home from work exhausted from the heat and we try not to go anywhere that isn't vital, though I don't mind the "warm" as much, but we still drive around a few times a week looking for land. We're still just trying to weigh out all of our options and trying to be patient and wise. Do we just keep stacking? Do we add on? Do we build a bigger house in a different subdivision with the same amount of land. Do we buy a little more land in a subdivision with a slightly larger house? Do we find a tiny piece of farmland? I still don't have any answers, but I'm trying to keep moving forward, nonetheless. I was reading a book we own entitled "Prayer" today--each chapter written by a different prophet--trying to find direction about the future. Every day except Sunday, I crunch numbers, search real estate sites and go land looking. I am trying to be more diligent about "studying it out in my mind". I would prefer that Heavenly Father just tell me what to do and then I can be diligent about being obedient, but I guess that is the lazy approach to prayer. Elder Marion D. Hanks said:

"God expects us to come to him with our spirits in tune, ready to yield our hearts unto him. If we will do this, we have his promise, and we will receive the blessings.

"Our minds also need to be prepared for prayer. Through search and study we can begin to learn what we need to know. And we must think – actively, consciously, quietly, reflectively, honestly, deeply think. Then we can in good conscience come to the Lord to seek wisdom, comfort, strength, grace, or to be thankful for, know what our responsibility is to God and others, then, with our souls hungry and our desires strong and honest, we can approach the Lord with earnest questions, appropriate petitions, and grateful minds."

I suppose that if I just continue moving forward while simultaneously preparing myself to listen spiritually, that doors will either be open or they will be shut and then I will know, but I do not enjoy the sometimes limbo-like interlude between agonizing questions and inspired answers. I don't bask in the progressive process of stretching, but that is exactly where I am at. It's all a lesson in faith isn't it.

Well it is almost 11:00 and everyone else has gone to bed, so I better join the ranks of Word of Wisdom followers =) and sign off.

It's an exciting week! We will ENJOY!!!

QUOTE OF THE WEEK:
"It is hard to build faith in the noonday sun. When the night is dark and the clouds are thick, we have an opportunity to put our hand in the Lord's hand and rely on Him to help us through. Doing so strengthens our faith.

"Most of us naturally long for security and clarity in life, but there must be some uncertainty to allow us to use our agency and grow. There is no freedom without agency, and there is no true agency without some risk. Therefore, there is no true freedom without some risk, some uncertainty." (Elder Larry W. Gibbons)

We just noticed yesterday that even our weeping willow reminds us
 of Mikayla when she's gone (it has one wild and crazy "hair". Yes, we miss her! =)
My very pitiful garden this year  (because my gardening buddy and motivator is gone)
...But the raspberries are still as gorgeous and plentiful as ever
(...only because Jordan pruned them this year--I didn't even do that!)
Enjoying the shade on our 107 degree Sunday
This is what happens when you are out in the hot sun too long. =)

Abrahm is growing up and starting to get heavy for his little sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.