Monday, October 20, 2008

Things I Wish I Had Learned

The past few days I have been wishing I had learned more. You know, the kinds of skills that aren't necessarily part of the "Home Economics" curriculum in college, but are part of the home economics of real life. Things like how to give your four daughters really cute haircuts, and how to take your sons senior pictures, and how to write a professional resume for your husband. Things like teaching your family how to sing and play piano... and violin... and guitar. Things like knowing how to keep real houseplants alive and flourishing. You know, just things that create and sustain and capture beauty. I haven't been a very receptive student in those areas and have had to rely on so many other people. Oh, I know, we all have our different talents, but lately I yearn to know those kinds of nurturing things.

Saturday, I spent hours writing a resume that I had no experience with writing. Tomorrow someone else will cut all of our hair. Friday someone will spend hours taking pictures for Jordan, and every day I walk past an ivy plant that used to be the most beautiful thing I have ever seen and watch it die stem by stem.

Sunday, the children and I went to an Institute choir concert at our Stake Center, and I was so moved by the power of good music, that as tears ran down my face, I felt happy my children haven't been very athletic and have seemed drawn to musical outlets. But, for that, again, we rely on someone else. Of course there is a price to be paid for the help of others, and so even those avenues seem very limited.

I have no great ambitions to be Ansel Adams or Pavarotti or the English gardener of a grand estate; I just want to be useful when my family needs a little help. I wish I had learned more things. I think I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.