Monday, October 6, 2008

Wisdom Teeth

At the age of 39, I finally had to have one of my wisdom teeth removed today. Dr. Gray has been encouraging me to have it extracted for a few years now, but I'm not very courageous, especially when it is just a suggestion. Two months ago, it started causing problems and he stopped encouraging and got a little more aggresive in his advice. However, after telling me that it had to come out Dr. Gray made the comment that it was going to be a beast and that I would hate him for two weeks and that I would almost certainly get a dry socket. Then I made the comment that I would rather have a baby AND HE AGREED WITH ME! I have rescheduled my appointment twice, and was about to do it again on Friday but I called after the office was closed. I was so terrified this morning when I went in that I made Fred come into the room with me at first. He did have the twins, so he had to be in the waiting room during the procedure. They gave me laughing gas, which I've never had before and I almost fell asleep before they realized they were losing me and turned down the flow. I didn't like the feeling, but it did help me relax. After he was done Dr. Gray said, "well that's going to heal up nicely -- now that wasn't as bad as you thought it was going to be, was it?" I just about screamed. Apparently he had forgotten his encouraging words from two months ago.

I am happy to report, however, that I have made it through the first full day without too much pain. I will be a very good patient tomorrow and hopefully we can make it through the week without the Dr.'s dry socket prediction coming true. "Life is just a bowl of cherries!"

Love you all,
Rach

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.