Tuesday, January 11, 2011

"I'm Still Here"

Jordan shared a scripture with us in his letter last week: "God having provided some better things for them through their sufferings, for without sufferings they could not be made perfect." (Hebrews 11:40 JST). I have read it over … and over … and over… and keep thinking about what better things must be yet to come. :) Not only did our car break down in Cascade, the week before last, so did the driver's side door handle, our computer, the belt on the Geo, the garbage disposal and my back. Mom said to look on the bright side—we didn't have anything else to break. I was sure she was right until last night when I was released from my stake calling, and my heart broke too. I'm the only one of the presidency that was released, making it even more painful and the only explanation I was given was, "your Bishop has insisted that he needs you back in the ward". Now, I'm not only heart broken, I'm terrified. This "[being] made perfect" is "a hard rule!" This morning I went through my Franklin calendar and erased all of my Young Woman assignments that no longer are. Usually, along with the emotional letdown of being released from an administrative calling comes a lightening of a heavy burden. I have felt none of that. This calling has been a joy. It has demanded much of me, but I have not felt a heavy weight, just intense spiritual growth and I am so sad to leave the opportunities and relationships that have afforded that. I was taken a little off guard by the timing and being the only one released, but I was not completely unprepared. Last week I downloaded an updated stake list and noticed that of the seven, every ward YW presidency, but one, and every stake auxiliary presidency had been replaced at least once (a few twice) since our stake was organized and our YW presidency was called, and I had the distinct impression, that our time was short, I just didn't realize that it was only my time that was short, not "ours". I kind of missed that little piece of inspirational messaging.

But, life keeps marching forward and if you want to remain in the battle, you have to fall in step. So, we had a mechanic fix the suburban (well the part that will make it go, for at least a few more weeks? cha-ching), purchased a new computer(cha-ching), into which we installed our old hard drive, and happily saved all of our files (except, mysteriously, the power point presentation that I needed for a fireside I had to give last night and next Sunday and which Mikayla spent hours helping me remake), and Fred medicated my back into submission. We still don't have a disposal, can't open the driver's side door from the inside on the Suburban, the belt on the Geo won't stop squeaking (no matter what Fred does) and now our refrigerator light is blinking and our living room carpet is coming untacked, which all just goes to prove that we have abundantly more than our fair share of blessings and Heavenly Father is just trying to even things out a bit!:) In truth, I continue to learn (with many much reminders from Fred) that if we are obedient and do what we've been told to do with our money, that when the rain falls, we'll have an umbrella to open and keep us dry. So far, not even our feet are wet—it's just that I am so acutely missing the sun.

So, now what? One day at a time. This day I will finish writing to my missionary that I adore, pull the twin towers of green Christmas boxes into the garage, fold my seven baskets of enlessly sorted laundry, pull all loose Young Women ends together and tie them in a beautiful bow and then count my delightful blessings eight times (once as I read a weekly letter and seven more times as they walk in the door this afternoon), and hold on tight to brace myself for whatever storms think they can take me down. I know my Savior is standing in front to block the wind.

On lighter notes...Eden was crowned "Tip Off Princess" last Friday (which is funny because she's not even old enough to go to the dance), and Mikayla was brave and asked a young man (with a steady girlfriend) to the Tip Off dance (and though he hasn't officially answered, I'm sure will say yes).

Corrie ten Boom said, "If you look at the world, you'll be distressed. If you look within, you'll be depressed. If you look at God you'll be at rest." I'm still a little depressed--working on being at rest, but in the meantime, "I'm still here.":) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.