Thursday, January 13, 2011

Perspective Finials

Yesterday, after insinuating for a week that he was going to the"Tip Off" dance with Mikayla, her good guy friend (with the steady, out of town, girlfriend) said she didn't feel comfortable and he pulled back. Though Mikayla knew there was that chance when she asked him, I feel bad because I encouraged her. The guy she really wanted to ask, got scooped up as soon as the dance was announced and I had the bright idea that since she was such good "just friends" with this other guy that maybe he would feel "safe" and now there isn't enough time for her to feel comfortable asking anyone else and they had all these fun plans. Grrrrrrr! He's a good kid and they are great friends so I don't think this will hurt their relationship, I just wish he would have been less of a procrastinator about his answer, so she could have made other arrangements. The dance is only semi-formal, so it is just church dress and because nobody would have to purchase clothes, I told her just to ask another friend, but she feels like it's just too late.

I have been sitting here feeling very mother henish and thinking that with the luck we've been having "it figures" and then I read a letter my friend Dallas and his wife sent us (remember Dallas from college? Dallas still hanging in mom's hall art gallery?:) Their oldest son goes into the MTC today (couldn't read that without tears) and they are expecting a little girl with Down Syndrome in one week (couldn't read that without a little gasp). Brendee (Dallas's wife) is my age. Their letter was so full of humility and loving submissiveness. I am sure it has been a journey for them to get to that point, but I felt so humbled...AGAIN (could I maybe just stay in that frame of mind for 5 minutes at a time so I don't have to constantly be yanked back down?!) I have felt such a sweet outpouring of the Spirit towards their family and these new challenging spiritual experiences they are embarking on, that I almost want to stop being mad at my Bishop. :) Brendee says that "Heavenly Father likes to remind [her] that he's in charge." I know, I know. So, I will stop wallowing this morning, go to town and find the most exquisite baby girl dress, and while doing very temporal things, think about the celestial, important things that go inside, and try to remember which one of them really matters. It could just be crazy enough to work. Of course there will be that constant distraction every time I have to roll down my window to get out of the car, but if George Bailey can learn to kiss his stair banister finial, so can I! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.