Wednesday, May 27, 2009

...Gone

For more than a year my emotions have been relatively volatile, with Jordan blazing this "going" trail, and through it all Fred has been a rock. Yesterday, "lasts" started kicking in -- last weekend, last concert, last home teaching visit together, last time dragging Jordan's weary bones out of bed for an early morning Sunday meeting, last Sunday walk (in the rain)...and Fred's rock has started crumbling... and now Jordan is getting sentimental, and I? -- Well, I am an emotional train wreck!!! I asked Mom how she did this nine times, and she said that she just always thought about it being the chance for her children to find the joy that she had, and about them facing a great adventure and it wasn't hard, and though I do feel all those things and I'm so excited for Jordan, it doesn't seem to make the hole he's leaving any less real. I walked past the big girls bedroom Thursday night and I could hear the guitar and singing, so I cracked the door and peeked in. Jordan was playing the guitar and he and Mikayla and Eden were all improvising three part harmony to some popular music. I could tell by their faces that they knew this was one of those "lasts", and it made my heart just ache...you know that fulfilling kind of ache when you've experienced something great and it's coming to a culmination. Jordan has been such a huge part of the dynamics of our family and it will be a big adjustment for us all.

Thank you to all of the family that could come and help make Jordan's Send Off party memorable. It was good to be together. Joseph and Camille drove all the way down from McCall and turned back around in less than 2 hours to drive back up. That huge sacrifice was above and beyond the call of duty but it meant a lot to Jordan and to us. The FX concert that night was fun with Marg and Liz and some of the cousins attending with us. If you can believe it, I forgot my camera, but a friend e-mailed me a picture of Jordan singing one of the songs and I have another friend who took video of the concert and will burn it for me, so I will post parts of that when I get it.

We went to Jordan's graduation on Monday, which was a fun milestone to experience with him. It's all really starting to sink in and he is seeming so contemplative these last few days. Dillon (Jordan's best friend) was over last night before the boys left for an all night graduation party, and they were talking about upcoming plans which varied between apartment family home evening and scripture study to mountain climbing expeditions and I found my thoughts bouncing between exhilaration and anxiety as I listened to their enthusiasm for the future. They seem to have no fear!

We just found out that our school board has approved the change for this Fall's kindergarten schedule to be changed from the traditional M-F half days to M/W or T/Th and every other Friday for the full 7 hour block. Of course I'm frustrated, as are many other parents, especially because we didn't have a voice in the process. I've talked to the school board chair and have a meeting with the elementary school principle this week, but I have been looking at all of my options. The charter school here is full and their kindergarten is M-F full days, so that's not an option. I've looked into K12, which is the charter home school founded by William Bennett. Mindy did that curriculum with Matthew for kindergarten and LOVED it, but it is very intense (4-5 hours a day). I'm so disappointed that the trend keeps moving toward taking younger and younger children out of the homes for longer periods of time, especially as my last two armor up for battle. I will have to decide soon what I want to do, because K12 only has a certain amount of charter spots and then they close enrollment and I need to mentally prepare Lily and Sophie if they are going to have to experience that inconsistent schedule of our elementary. I'm trying to weigh this out carefully. I know I'm feeling vulnerable right now with Jordan leaving and the twins being my last two at home, but that also does present possibilities that didn't seem optimal before. I keep thinking I have a plan mapped out for the future and then life keeps changing. The spontaneity keeps me on my toes and keeps the old heart pumping.

Yesterday, as we were driving back from visiting family graves at the Star cemetery, Lily was asking Jordan and Mikayla how to say different words in Spanish. She must have decided that words weren't much of a challenge because she finally said, "How do you say, 'I'm planting weeds and if you need me, I'll be walking up on the hill?" She wasn't joking -- she has such a unique personality.

We still don't have a Bishop (I mean we have one, but he's now living in Oklahoma) and we are feeling a little fatherless. I guess these things take time. President Walker was replaced in the stake presidency, a few weeks ago, by his son, who was working as the High Council YW representative, so that has been an easy transition for most of us -- it would have been difficult for anyone else to fill those shoes. We are now excitedly waiting for Pres. and Sis. Walker's mission call.

It is now Wednesday afternoon, and I have been writing this blog for over a week (thus the choppy subject changing). I just fed Jordan and all of his roommates their last "mother brunch"and said goodbye. I was proud of myself for smiling and waving as he drove away. I didn't cry until I came inside and shut the door. He said he'd call as soon as he gets there and we'll talk tonight with our computer camera, but that is a hard goodbye! He had an early breakfast date with a good friend girl this morning and I think that was a hard goodbye as well. We love our boy!

Jordan singing "Knights of the Round Table" in his FX Show Concert:


A Nice Sunday Walk Interrupted by a Sudden Downpour (We all got drenched!):




The video Mikayla and I made for Jordan's Send Off party (she had to diminish the quality significantly to get it to fit on the blog, so it's pretty blurry):
video

Jordan and his "roomies" for Spokane


Freedom!


Last hugs and kisses






The adventure begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.