Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Mother's Day

Mikayla was asked to speak in Sacrament mtg. Sunday, on how she is preparing to become a mother. I think I had her a little intimidated about her assignment after I got done pleading with her not to get sucked into the awful tradition of monologuing about either how great your angel mother is (which there was no chance of here;-) or reading cutesy articles from the abundance that inundate the Internet at this time of year, or listing all of the expectations of a super mom. She did a fantastic job with uplifting quotes from prophets and conference talks and experiences with Personal Progress. The young man speaking with her gave a talk that was doctrinally based as well. I squirmed a little during the adult talks, which contained some of the above, but the youth always do such a marvelous job at setting an example.

We also attended Hyrum and Desi's ward to be a part of Katelyn's blessing (she was beautiful) and there wasn't a "Mother's Day" talk in the whole bunch, and yet they all were. They focused on time management and Facing our Homes toward the Temple and Covenants. It was so refreshing to sit through a Sacrament mtg. on Mothers Day that was still focused on the Savior. The mother's in Desi's ward received giant chocolate bars wrapped with ribbon after the mtg. The mother's in our ward received baby tomato starts in plastic pony packs torn apart (it was certainly the most humorous and practical gift I have ever received from a ward. The Sunday School presidency was in charge this year:-)

It was a perfect weather day here and I spent an hour sitting in a chair in the sandbox, running my feet through the cool grains, enjoying reading from Pres. Hinckley's biography while Fred made a strawberry cake, under the direction of Lily and Sophie. They were so proud of themselves for having the idea and being a part of it all! And I have the most beautiful hydrangea plant that I have ever seen sitting in the middle of my kitchen table. Unfortunately, I just got off of the phone with a Master Gardener from the extension agency who informed me that hydrangeas are not plants that can flourish in our zone, but are green housed as "Mother's Day" brief flash in the pan. I will plant it anyway and see how long I can keep it alive, and enjoy it's magnificence while it lasts. It is truly breathtaking!

One of Jordan's best friends stopped in for 3 minutes on Sunday to wish me a happy Mother's Day, which I thought was very sweet of him. I'm going to miss all of these kids that are striking out on their own over the next few months. It will be fun to follow them and see what they do with their lives.

Since Sunday was the "last average frost date" in our area, I spent the entirety of Monday transplanting mini starts into larger containers and mature starts into the ground. Then Fred came home and informed me that a cold front is supposed to come in and freeze everything tonight and then bolt back up into the 80's by the weekend. Grrrrrrrr! Luckily I never got to unpotting any of our May Day flowers, but everything else may take a hit. The buckets will have to come back out tonight.

A dear friend and YW leader, Sally Murry, was in our ward this weekend visiting her parents. Her vibrant personality never changes! It's comforting. You just can't help but love her, and she loves everyone back fiercely. Her mother said that she's so outgoing because she was in 4 different 1st grade classes in different states, which I thought was cute.

Jordan and 3 friends sang at the Opening Ceremonies for the new High School groundbreaking yesterday and will play his guitar and sing in the High School Talent Show on Wednesday and then be honored with all of the Seniors at Seminary Graduation on this upcoming Sunday. It's fun to have him in the spotlight these last few weeks home with us.

Mother's Day offerings and two crazy girls:


Sophie smelling tulips in our mini Aspen Grove:

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.