Saturday, May 2, 2009

Irony

We had another little glitch at the Middle School today. A frustrated mother called to let me know that the most offensive documentary in the 6th grade curriculum, which is about pirates, had been shown to her son without her knowledge or consent (the principle had promised us that the parents would be informed before any more documentaries were shown). Her son was so disturbed that the teacher became very concerned and called this mother (which is how she found out about the movie) to see if maybe there was something wrong at home. In this particular teachers defense, Eden says she is very caring and I'm sure her only motive in making the phone call was concern, but isn't it ironic that after exposing an innocent young man to darkness that the teacher would assume that his recoiling must be due to some disturbance in his family life. In truth, I guess it does stem from something that's going on at home; purity. I contacted administration again and we came up with stricter measures that I hope will resolve this more effectively, but I can't help but shake my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.