Sunday, October 3, 2010

Missionary Send Off

Preparing for and sending off  a missionary is an experience of a lifetime. I tried so hard to prepare myself emotionally, but I guess there are just some things you can't adequately brace yourself for--you just have to let them come, and hold on.

The Saturday before Jordan left, our family spent the day in the park, away from all distractions, so we could focus on just being together. It was a gorgeous day to play and visit and enjoy each other. It was one of those days where, as a mother, you look around with gratitude at the righteous family that you've been blessed with and know there is nothing more valuable in the world than your husband and children.

Sunday, Jordan was set apart as a full time missionary. What a beautiful experience that was. The mantle of that calling is a clearly visible thing. Thank you to so many family members for supporting Jordan that evening with your company. Our family felt deeply loved because of your presence.

Monday, was a day of last minute errands and packing and Jordan took his role as a missionary seriously as he made sure he had a companion with him at all times. There were a few times, where I would forget and go downstairs without him and he would coming running down behind me, with a mouth full of toothpaste, wondering where I was going:) It was a neat experience to have him so close by those last few days.

Tuesday was difficult. We were all doing good until the younger children had to say goodbye before they left for school. That was a tender parting. The deep emotions were a tribute to Jordan for the vast, positive role he has played in our family and the immense hole his departure leaves in our family dynamics. Those last goodbyes, including us driving away from home and neighbors was emotionally heightened for me because I can't seem to help being sentimental. We made two more stops to say goodbye to dear friends of Jordan's and as we drove out of Boise, Fred turned on some dramatic Mormon Tabernacle Choir music and Jordan became immersed in writing letters. I put on my sunglasses and with the feeling that I was driving toward emotional execution, cried all the way to Jerome, where we stopped for lunch, turned off the music and I was able to refocus and get control of my emotions. We had planned on driving to temple square, but we were supposed to meet Taylor and Scott at 6:00, so we drove straight to Prove and spent a fun hour, over dinner, with fun boys, talking about Chile and family and girls (one in particular:) I'm so glad we did that. Jordan couldn't help but be pumped after talking with Taylor who is still so fresh from the field, and it was a sweet, rare tie in to the "Larsen life". That night we drove back into Salt Lake and stayed in a hotel close to temple square.

Wednesday I was so proud of myself.  We woke up at 6:30, got ready for the day, ate breakfast and were on temple square by 9:00--with no tears! We walked around, took lots of pictures and soaked up the peace of that place.  There were a few other families doing the same.  Our guide in the conference center was on her 3rd or 4th mission with her husband, but had just recently returned from serving a mission in the Santiago Chile temple, so that was a fun experience to talk to her. The highlight of that morning was standing in front of the Christus, finally knowing that I could give my boy away for Him, and only for Him. It gave me great strength and peace and assurance that everything would be alright, and that not only was Jordan in His hands, so was I. At 10:30 we headed back to Provo, in a very quiet car, and had an hour to spare before Jordan's check-in time. We parked at the Provo temple and walked around those grounds, with many other new missionaries all "saying goodbye" to their families. We could see teams of missionaries playing soccer on the MTC fields, and other groups walking up to attend the temple and their was a great feeling of comraderie and unity of purpose there. We actually ran into a sister missionary going to Jordan's same mission and we and her parents got so excited we put them together and were taking pictures. I realized afterwards that maybe that wasn't the best preparation for the MTC, since he shouldn't even be touching girls, but they were both good sports and it made us feel like they were going in with a friend. We had been warned, repeatedly, that goodbyes needed to be said prior to dropping Jordan off, that it wasn't a time for pictures, that it would be a very quick process, so though not excited I had prepared myself for a 5 minute parting, but the emotions of that drive into the MTC, lined with hundreds of missionaries waving and welcoming, is overwhelming. We pulled in and rolled down our window as an elderly gentleman stopped us and gave us a kind welcome and directions to a distant curb where we stopped the car. We got out of the car, unloaded Jordan's luggage and a host missionary took ahold of a suitcase and asked if he was ready. He gave us brief hugs and was gone. It was so fast that I panicked and grabbed my camera which was right beside me, but only got his suitcase as he was engulfed by missionaries. It was so fast that in that moment I forgot to tell him I loved him. I had tried to prepare for 5 minutes, but I'm sure it was less than that and had felt like 5 seconds. He was gone so fast that only the greeting missionaries saw the flood of tears that started as Fred took me away. I think that was a tender mercy for Jordan, and my tender mercy was a compassionate, understanding husband who pulled over to the side of the road and let me weep in his arms, as my heart was breaking. I have never done anything that hard and yet I know Jordan is where he is supposed to be. I am excited for him and so proud of him know that nothing will be quite as positively life changing for him and for us.

The drive back was such a blessing as Fred and I talked for six hours about life and goals and we anticipated coming home to our other children, who we found out later had been protectively watched over by dear neighbors who went out of their way to be there at the crossroads, to provide them with snacks and dinner (even though they knew I had left them with those things) and be a loving support, during an emotional time for them as well.

It is now Monday and I am feeling a little less vulnerable. There have been some hard moments (when I had to put back a place setting on the table, when I walked into Abe's room and saw a small basket of Jordan's dirty clothes, when we came back from our Friday night date and I saw the car in the driveway and had that brief excitement that Jordan was home from work already), but for the most part I feel joyful, especially during conference, as so many messages were about missionary work. We write Jordan everyday on an e-mail service that prints and hand delivers mail straight to the MTC, but have yet to hear back from him as we don't yet know when his P-day will be. We can already feel the blessings in our family from his service and I am so grateful for this gospel in our lives. I love the Lord and I love my family.

SATURDAY IN THE PARK--LAST PLAYDAY

Sweet catch!  You'll have to trust me on that.
 

Tackling is always more fun when the ball is out of play!

And my beautiful Angel Maid leaves next...
...Thank Heaven for my husband to cling to



And he's down

Another one bites the dust

A big brother's apologies



A tackle and a touchdown
High Five
Abe's namesake

TUESDAY MORNING--SAYING GOODBYE






How we love this big brother!
































Hearts breaking!

WEDNESDAY MORNING

















Elder Bloomquist





























Temple Square










No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.