Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Making a Difference--One Voice at a Time


Dear Friends and Family,

Over the weekend, I attended the production of Les Miserables at the Morrison Center. Some of you may have also been there. If so, and if you were disturbed by some of the content, please continue reading and make a difference in our community.

Friday was my birthday. My husband, two teenage daughters and I had exceptional tickets, purchased months in advance, and were anticipating this experience with excitement.  I have read the book, have seen both anniversary concerts, and even attended the musical production when it came to the Morrison Center over 10 years ago, so I understand that the story deals with some heavy themes but never have I seen them treated with such blatant visual vulgarity.  We were extremely disappointed to find that this particular performance was filled with bawdy innuendo and graphic sexuality, yet nowhere in any advertising was it ever stated that the production was for “mature audiences". Without any sponsors warning, I am sure that many families were taken by surprise, as the house was filled with children the evening that we attended. Most of the musical talent was incredible. The theater details were impressive. The scenes that remained unsoiled were beautifully stirring, but even so, days later, the experience feels overshadowed by what I and many of my family and friends felt was completely unnecessary and highly offensive material, and which was never portrayed, in detail, in Victor Hugo’s compelling story about light rising from darkness.  After hearing of those added “liberties”, my brother who had paid $500 in order to introduce his family to some cultural entertainment, decided not to attend, and since a refund was refused, had to take the large monetary loss. I realize that this was a personal choice, and in my opinion, a noble gesture on their part, but such an unnecessary circumstance.

I realize that everyone has different filters and opinions and though I would love to see Boise embrace more “family friendly” cultural experiences, I am speaking out in hopes that others will join me and by doing so the Morrison Center will be influenced to assure future audiences, of which I am hoping to be a part, better content clarity of the entertainment for which we are purchasing tickets, some of which are a lofty investment in entertainment.  I would like the ability to make an educated and informed decision, something that was not available, even with all of my former Les Miserables exposure, at this last production. My heart goes out to those patrons who didn’t have as much personal experience with the content as I, but uninformed, chose to bring their little children, believing the production was family friendly because of the more popularly available and inspiring music.  That couldn’t have been a pleasant experience. I had two teenage children accompanying me, but even at their older ages I felt violated as a patron and as a parent.

I take responsibility for being exposed to some disturbing lyrics, which are contained primarily in two songs and right or wrong, we made the conscious choice to wade through those in order to be inspired by much of the remaining 38.  Because of the accents and also because we are used to using the fast forward button on our music CD, I did forget how awful and jarring some of the references really were but the added portrayals of this specific performance, were unanticipated and unpardonable.

I contacted the Morrison Center, as did some of my friends and family, but, because they have only received a handful of complaints out of the 15,000 people who attended the production this weekend, our concerns are not being taken seriously.

We are merely asking that better promotional literature be made available, that makes apparent those audiences for which the production is best suited, so that every prospective patron can make an educated and informed choice.

If you feel similarly, please contact the Morrison Center director at the e-mail address below and add your voice to ours. There is strength in numbers.

Rachel Bloomquist

*Contact address to file concerns: jamespatrick@boisestate.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.