Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Fear and Frolic

Sunday, Sept. 2:
This morning I went to a YSA missionary meeting where we were asked to transfer all the less active branch member records back to the home wards, which means my list of responsibility just quadrupled. Then when I asked for my ward updated YSA list this afternoon there were more new names. That always gives me tremors. I am not ever excited about meeting new people under those kinds of circumstances (I'm a little reticent about meeting new people at all=) and it reminded me of a couple of famous quotes by Eleanor Roosevelt. The first was, "We are afraid to care too much, for fear that the other person does not care at all." The second is, "Do one thing every day that scares you." Some people are "natural" missionaries--I'm not! If there is only one thing that I have learned from this calling it is that it has brought new light to my inadequacies and also to my stewardship. The scripture in Isaiah 51:7, "Hearken unto me, ye that know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law; fear ye not the reproach of men, neither be ye afraid of their revilings." has become a personal exhortation. It is an odd understanding to come to for a person like me, who has spent much of my adult life being assertive, sometimes to a fault, with people who are not "strangers", but then I have always had an aversion to the unknown. The sad thing is that we will have been called as ward missionaries for two years this coming January. The handbook says that these callings are for a specified amount of time and I noticed today that a ward missionary was called today, and over the pulpit they announced that it would be for the duration of 1 year. I don't recall anyone ever telling us how long we would be serving in this calling and maybe because we have this joint calling of YSA advisors our calling is a little different, but the fact still remains that we have been doing this for quite some time now and I still don't feel successful because I continue to be paralyzed by fear. Funny that! I would have never pegged myself as a "fraidy cat" before this. I guess it is good to continue to discover weaknesses or we would never overcome them.

Last week the lady in Lori's ward who is looking for a nanny on her yacht called and set up an interview with Mikayla. Mikayla had to get off of work early and then rushed into Meridian, but she's not familiar with driving there and got significantly lost and had to reschedule the appointment for the following day, which, unfortunately, probably didn't make a great first impression. The next day I went with her to ensure she could find the address on time and Mikayla felt that the interview went alright, but she was asked if she ever got carsick, which she does mildly, and that made the woman nervous, as seasickness would probably be an issue. Mikayla left a bit disappointed and I think without high hopes of getting the job, but it was an interesting opportunity and she's grateful to Lori for always thinking of us. I think this has probably made Mikayla more adventure anxious then ever! Mikayla should know for sure by the end of this week, about the job, but I have no doubt that she will find a way to experience the "adventures" that her little heart craves, at some point, and in some way. Who knows, maybe she'll serve a mission!=)

We have a young man in our ward who just returned from his mission last week. His mother was talking about having him home at church and said that having a return missionary home has ensured that she gets "called to repentance daily". How I look forward to that!=)

Monday, Sept. 3:
Today is Labor Day and we celebrated by going into Boise. We started our excursion at Powell's Sweet Shoppe, which is a cute, overpriced candy shop in a ritzy part of town that specializes in the unique and nostalgic. Our youngest children love it, so we wander down there on infrequent special occasions. It's about as far into Boise as you can go before heading to Lucky Peak but we met two families that we know in the hour we were there--one from Middleton and one from Marsing. Small world--same wavelength. Such fun!

We then headed to Julia Davis park to ride the paddle boats and spent that half hour jockying for place position and trying to find the largest fish. It was a gorgeous day for being out of doors and such fun to enjoy each others company.

At Mikayla's request we made the last stop at a thrift store to look for treasures, which she found in a book and a game, and then it was back home for FHE and Jordan's letter and preparation for another day of school. Good memories.

Quote of the week:
"You might be poor, your shoes might be broken, but your mind is a palace." --Frank McCourt

First Day of School

The Aftereffects of Mud Volleyball
Wash Down with the Hose (BRRR!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.