Monday, October 17, 2011

Dressing For Battle

On Saturday, Mikayla and I got to drive to Ontario to listen to Sis. Julie Beck speak. We were early enough to sit front and center in the chapel, listening literally at her feet. It was inspiring to hear her words, focused specifically on our roles as women, but some of her quotes could definitely relate to everyone. Two that I really liked were: "Pray for miracles and expect them." and "Be brilliant at the basics." But the most profound quote, that absolutely pricked my heart to action was when she said, "Heavenly Father doesn't care about your issues, he cares about his children." She was speaking specifically about our sacred responsibility as visiting teachers and ridding ourselves of excuses, but it pounded in my ears regarding every role I have. It was no coddling talk, but a call to arms and a spiritually enlightening experience. Another challenge that I loved was what she called a spiritual morning strategy in 4 steps:
1.Roll out of bed every morning on your knees (communication with Heavenly Father)
2.Grab your scriptures and spend some time in them (communication with the Spirit)
(By this time I was feeling really good about myself)
3.Get dressed (sign to the Lord that we are dressed for battle)
(Inner groan--I really like my pajamas!)
4. Make your bed (sign to the Lord that I'm not going back there physically or symbolically)
(Today I followed all four steps...and am writing this showered and dressed...it feels good.)
Mikayla went with some of her branch to see Sis. Beck speak again on Sunday in Nampa. She said it was a different talk with some of the same themes, but she loved it again.

So a funny Eden moment (I told her I was sharing it). Two nights ago, we were sitting around the table having a dinner conversation. Eden was definitely dominating it loudly and expressively and with very little breathing, but none of us were quite sure what she was talking about so I had interjected to clarify and minutes later, still not following, Mikayla had interjected to clarify and after the "conversation" had for sure hit the many minutes mark Fred finally interjected to clarify and Eden burst out with, "I never get to talk!!!" There was 5 seconds of stunned silence and then incredulous laughter from the 3 of us. Eden was still disgruntled until we explained our point of view and then laughed slightly, but I don't think she ever saw the humor in it. (Days later I am letting her read this before sending it off and she is laughing plenty now--she's a good sport.=)

Abe is off from school for the entire week. It will be nice to have company for a change, though I got him 4 thick chapter books from the library so I may never see him.=)

Our family is so excited for the Jones's big family Harvest Party on Saturday but I haven't even thought of costumes for the younger kids. Poor Lily and Sophie got a bit cheated being the youngest. I was "costumed out" in my younger mothering years. One of these holidays, before they are too old, I am going to have to create something amazing for them to make up for all the years of being burned out. Jordan, Mikayla and Eden got the full benefits of my creativity. I'm not sure what has happened over the years--I guess just different priorities.

Sunday evening was stake YW Standards night. It was POWERFUL, as it always is when you put these youth in charge! Our stake president's daughter was one of the speakers and shared an experience that a friend had shared with her. Her friend said she was at a fireside a few years ago where some really cute Senior boys were sitting on a dating panel. One of the questions was, "Why should I dress modestly?" and one of the young men said, "because I would rather be thinking about how much fun I'm going to have on the date, than singing hymns in my head all night." Then she talked about the effects that one comment had made on her friend and ultimately on her. Afterwards the young woman approached me and told me that the "cute senior" she had referred to was Jordan . I thought that was kind of her to share that detail with me. Even more than two years later, that one comment is still affecting young women in our stake. Isn't it amazing how far reaching every little moment of our life can be. A young man also spoke and I think every mother in the audience turned to their teenage daughters with the same thought that I had, "you can have him!" Fred and our neighbor were talking after the meeting and our neighbor said, "I want to be like him." and Fred said, "me too!" Eden's comment was, "From now on, whenever they ask us to make a list of all the things we want in a husband, I'm going to save time and just write Joseph's name. He truly sounded like a "Son of Helaman". I love the youth in Middleton!

I've been listening to conference again on my morning walks with Olive. Last week I was reminded again of Elder Packers challenge, "Take hold of your life and order yourself to be valiant." It really struck a chord again. This morning as I was fast walking in the fog, listening to Elder Holland priesthood session talk again, I cried. His words always do that to me... or else make me forget to breathe. The spirit is a powerful influence in our lives! What a blessing to have living, loving prophets!



My Birthday Artwork from Mikayla and Eden

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.