Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My Heart is in His Hands

I guess we have had some of the warmest days in October on record, but I may have written Jordan's weekly letter for the last time from the hammock (my favorite Sunday spot). Granted, I was bundled a little more than usual but the sun was shining so nicely that I actually fell asleep for a few minutes before Mikayla joined me. However, this weeks mornings have reminded me that it is my turn to share the sun with Chile's side of the world and I will miss it (that's what long johns and blankets and heaters are for=), but that means Jordan will be enjoying it and I am glad.

The annual Jones Harvest party continues to be "the best party of the year". Thank you Renee and Ben and all your kids who help keep alive some of the same traditions and original Harvest theme as it's humble beginnings at the farm. It has expanded and become your own, but you have grown it well! The Bloomers thank you, but most I of all I thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for continuing to provide a party that this hyper sensitive girl can still go to at this time of year and dismiss everything "Halloween". As always your family has been most generous in opening up your home and bearing most of what I know is an abundant cost every year. I think I speak for everyone in the valley when I say that because of your efforts this is of those extended family traditions that will be forever memorable. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

The twins begged all day Saturday, starting as soon as they awoke (and every half hour at least) to get into their costumes. I finally gave in at 3:00 and by the time we were ready to leave they felt gorgeous and couldn't wait to show off their costumes.....that is until we drove in Ben's lane and they saw the inflatable and wanted to strip down right then and there. I made them wait for 15 minutes of pure agony for Grandma and Grandpa to get there so they could see their outfits before it all came off. Luckily, I had anticipated that and had them pack play clothes so they were happy. Funny girls!

The YSA Branch just called 14 part-time missionaries and organized them like a Mission district so each ward boundary has been assigned a companionship to work in correlation with that wards YSA Advisors. That means Fred and I will get to work in conjunction with them. What a great preparation for full-time missionary service for them and what a blessing for us to continue being involved in various ways with the youth and the added motivation of reporting and accountability. Today in our early morning meeting we were supposed to break off with our ward counterparts but neither of them were there and Fred's stomach was growling so loud he had disappeared into the hall=), so the Branch mission leader and the Stake YSA Rep. counseled with me instead. It's a comforting feeling to have the youth take the lead.

The other day Mikayla was standing at the bar and then suddenly made a very un-Mikayla-like comment. "So Mom, on a scale of 1-10 what would you give _____?" Unfortunately, I'm usually open with my snap judgements, but I don't really know this young man. He seems motivated in his calling. He has honorably returned from a mission. He seems respectful but un-intimidated. He has pretty eyes and has asked Mikayla out a few times, but now that all the dating rules have suddenly changed, I don't think I'm ready to give out "scale" points which might be construed as a sign that I am at ease with this transitory period of parental life. My Angel Maid is no longer dating boys, but young men and she leaves home in two months..."and it's no fun either"! Whoever coined the term, "cutting the apron strings" was no mother. This is no haphazard inanimate separation of warp and weft, if involves living, pulsing heart strings and the help of the most highly skilled surgeon. My heart is in His hands. I trust it there, but it's still painful.

HARVEST PARTY PRELIMINARIES:
"Hello Dolly!"
Lily a.k.a Pixie -- Sophie a.k.a. Dolly Levi
Abe a.k.a. -- Ninja
The Glorious 80's
Eden a.k.a. Rachel; Mikayla a.k.a. Lori; Shelby a.k.a. Marg
Out of My Hands -- A Lost Generation!
CRAZY HAIR DAY AT SCHOOL:
You can't tell, but it's tied in about 30 hair knots
and looked like "dreds". Lily was sick that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.