Monday, June 11, 2012

Challenges Aboard

It has been a rewarding and eventful week. Eden has been looking around for a job and got a little more serious after Syngenta called asking if she wanted to come back and do field work this year.=) She applied at "Little Leggs" (the daycare downtown) but they said they wouldn't be hiring in the summer. She has also been wanting to do one of her 10 Hour Projects babysitting. Together, we came up with the idea to volunteer at the daycare. After a few days of that they hired her on the spot, with no promise of lots of summer hours, since they didn't really need another employee, but they wanted to snag a good thing while they could. She'll get a few hours and probably still work a little at Syngenta, but during the school year and until she graduates, she is "in" at Little Legg's and very excited about it.  She heads off to girls camp Tuesday morning and is ecstatic with anticipation. It will give me a week to deep clean and organize her room, which is turning into a fun tradition for me. I always loved coming home to a pristine clean house as Fred's gift to me, all those years that I attended girls camp, so I'm trying to pass on that gift. The poor little room needs it and I think Eden will appreciate it.

Monday night was the YSA Welcome FHE, which our family attended, because of me and Fred's calling. It was dinner and games and my kids had a blast playing games with the older "kids". Many of my favorite youth were there--my trek sons,Cody and Justin--Jordan's good friend Luke, My Mikayla introduced friend Kyle...(why is it that my favorite people--outside of my family are always guys?) so it was an enjoyable night. 

In celebration of Marg and Liz's birthdays Lori, Renee, Liz, Marg and I met at a little restaurant last Tuesday and had a delightful sisters luncheon. (Thanks for organizing Lulu!) We spent most of the time laughing at Lori's Braden stories, which are many and varied. It brought back a lot of "young motherhood" memories--the amazing things we learn from our children and life's challenges!=)

Abrahm has now joined the "my little piece of land in his mouth" club--he has braces. I'm sad that we never had the money, as young parents, to fix Jordan's teeth perfectly, but the rest of these kids, who so far have all needed metal in their mouths, will keep the orthodontist on his Caribbean cruises and us in the subdivision for years longer. But, it is a choice we make (probably because of my own regrets), so I will try to stop whining about it...much.

Mikayla is still working like crazy on her grades. She says she doesn't think she can quite squeak out straight A's, so that will negate her possibility for a half tuition scholarship this time, which she is, I'm sure, disappointed about, but we are so proud of her. She has incredible grades and is working so hard. She got a letter from her missionary friend and asked out by a boy she is interested in on the same day last week and called home giddy. She had fun on her date Saturday and the young man showed up with dinner for her on Sunday and serenaded her with some serious classical piano. I'm glad she is being appreciated. She seems a little homesick (she can't come home for the 4th or her birthday because school is only out for a day), but she is growing so much. 

My mom has hooked me on indexing. It is addicting and I have to pace myself. She has challenged all of her grandchildren to get started as well and It has been fun to watch the niece/nephew numbers roll in. I think we mothers/fathers need to take them on! It is fun and uplifting to have an extended family challenge that we can accomplish together.

Quote of the Week:"You can be excellent in every way. You can be first class. There is no need for you to be a scrub. Respect yourself. Do not feel sorry for yourself. Do not dwell on unkind things others may say about you. Polish and refine whatever talents the Lord has given you. Go forward in life with a twinkle in your eye and a smile on your face, but with great and strong purpose in your heart. Love life and look for its opportunities." ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Siblings--The best summer friends
Taking an awkward break
Tree Climbing--A favorite Bloomquist sport
Monkey see-monkey do
Sisters Birthday Luncheon--We missed the rest of you lovelies!
Abe--quirky in or out of braces!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.