Monday, June 4, 2012

Chilling

I was delivering YSA invitations to all of the Bishops last Sunday and discovered 10 minutes before another ward's meeting started that it was the missionary homecoming of one of our Trek sons...so I went flying over to our ward building, grabbed my family and slipped in right as the meeting started. Our "son" just returned on Tuesday and had a strong Spanish accent and couldn't remember Joseph Smith's name in English (which was pretty cute). He looked great, and sounded fantastic and I got a huge bear hug from him afterward, which was fun. Trek was such an incredible experience in our life that I think those bonds will last forever.

Mikayla thinks she can pull off straight A's this semester which will get her a half tuition scholarship and if she keeps it up next semester she can get full tuition. She says all she does is homework--barely sleeps. I'm so amazed with her determination. I sure never had that kind of committment at her age and I have regretted it for the last 22 years. She is really encouraging me to start online classes with her this summer.

She surprised us and came down for a Memorial Day visit last weekend. Her roommate/ best friend from Middleton called at around 10:00 on Friday and asked if she could drop some things off at our house that Mikayla had sent home with her. She rang our doorbell right before 11:00 and the twins answered it and invited her in, but she said the suitcase was really heavy, so I went to the door and Mikayla popped out of the suitcase. They are crazies, but it was such a fun surprise. I screamed and Fred, Eden and Abe (who had just gone to sleep) jumped out of bed and came running downstairs worried. We've just been basking in having her home.

Last Monday was Shelby's 16th birthday and a few families gathered for a fun pool party (in 70 degree weather). Because Robbie wasn't in town, Eden was invited to replace him as Shelby's birthday shopping partner. Eden would have pleased as punch just to be Shelby's "personal shopper" but Marg was very generous and made the trip extra fun. Eden came home with her first professional manicure/pedicure and fond cousin memories. She LOVED it! The girls have had such a strong bond since birth and I'm so grateful for those relationships. All of my girls adore Shelby--we all do. She is such a kind, good girl. She called Lily and Sophie Monday night, after finding cards from them, just to thank them personally. It made their day. We'll miss her this summer.

In Relief Society last week, as I was sitting with Mikayla a visiting mom mistook me for one of the sister missionaries. I think it is just the long hair that throws people off--I don't think they look very long at my face, but it's always fun to be 21 again--even for a moment.=) I still feel young inside, but my body doesn't always agree anymore.=)

It sounds like Jordan is experiencing a diverse and unique mission environment right now--the perfect recipe for even more personal growth. He is having great opportunities to serve and lead in his tiny branch. We sure do take our numbers for granted in the spacious land of Middleton, Idaho sometimes...at least I do.

Our previous Bishop's family was visiting our ward from Oklahoma today--on their way to take a son to the MTC. The young elder stood up and just shared a brief testimony in sacrament meeting , but he had already been set apart and the mantle was surely distinguishable. Of course my emotions were fragile because everything somehow ties back to Jordan--young men in general=), missionaries, mantles, this particular Bishop--all of it. And when all of those things are present along with the incredible power of the Spirit I can just give up on any semblance of emotional will power. Sometimes it give me a headache.=)

Yesterday afternoon, because of Fast Sunday, it was quiet and gloriously ponderous here at home. I was sitting in our back yard, listening to a Jon Schmidt "Hymns" CD mixed with all of our chirping songbirds and is was a lovely ensemble. Fred was sitting with me chatting with Mikayla online, Eden was at a stake camp meeting, Abe was passed out on his bed (we're still working on that whole "purpose of the fast with him =), and Sophie and Lily were quietly moving between art projects in their bedroom to visiting with us. I love those peaceful Sunday times. As soon as fasting is complete the quiet usually dissipates. I often struggle with a little guilt during these moments thinking I should really be helping the kids set goals and teaching them how to better fill their time on the Sabbath, instead of just basking in the peace. I fight with those same feeling when I get up early on weekday morning and am enjoying those quiet hours but thinking that I should probably be waking up my children and helping them establish good habits. The selfishness of not wanting to give up the serenity of the morning, usually wins--especially since we're not very good about going to bed early during the summer. I'm bad about throwing out schedules completely for the kids, but maintaining them for me, which I think they enjoy to a certain extent but which probably isn't the most progressive way to help them grow. I'm still working on the whole balance thing.

It is now 6AM Monday morning. I have trouble sleeping lately. I think it has a lot to do with our bed, which is 18 years old, but at 4AM I figured I should probably just get up and study my scriptures. At 5:00 I finished writing Jordan and Mikayla and moved on to the blog--so here we are. Last night, one of our high councilors came over and extended a call to Eden to be on the stake youth committee. He spent a good 30 minutes or more discussing the importance of the calling, the responsibilities and committing her to daily scripture study, personal prayer, no steady dating etc. It was extremely personal and inspired and I feel so grateful that she will have this same opportunity that Jordan and Mikayla experienced. I am positive it will help strengthen her testimony and her resolve to live within the standards of the gospel. I am excited that she will get to work with the stake YW presidency, whom I love. What a blessing living in Middleton has been in our lives.

Tonight is our stake YSA Senior Welcome FHE. Because of our calling our entire family is invited. The weather is supposed to drop 20-30 degrees today (it has been in the 90's) and hopefully won't push us indoors, but I am excited to hang with the youth. Eden is a little nervous about filling out of place, but I think everyone will enjoy it--it is such an energetic and positive environment to be with the branch.

Eden will be spending the week accomplishing one of her 10 hour Personal Progress projects at a local Daycare, volunteering every day. She's good with little kids (who aren't her own siblings=) and she is excited. Abe has a scouting jamboree this weekend and Fred has a Stevens-Henager graduation. The twins and I will be piecing together a humanitarian quilt top and just chilling. With the weather predictions, I hope that doesn't become literal.

Quotes of the week:
"The most beautiful people we have know are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss, and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity, and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, and a deep loving concern. Beautiful people do not just happen."  (Elisabeth Kubler-Ross)

"The scriptures tell us there must be opposition in all things, for without it we could not discern the sweet from the bitter. Would the marathon runner feel the triumph of finishing the race had she not felt the pain of the hours of pushing against her limits? Would the pianist feel the joy of mastering an intricate sonata without the painstaking hours of practice?

"In stories, as in life, adversity teaches us things we cannot learn otherwise. Adversity helps to develop a depth of character that comes in no other way. Our loving Heavenly Father has set us in a world filled with challenges and trials so that we, through opposition, can learn wisdom, become stronger, and experience joy." (Elder Dieter F.
Uchtdorf)

Abe in "Princely" form, presenting Shelby with her 16th B-day gift
Posed--My children's sense of humor as I walked into the room
Abe's last day of school--it rained all day
The sun came out just in time...
...For a perfect picture

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.