Monday, July 30, 2012

Highs and Lows

JULY 22:
This week has been incredibly high energy-high activity-and high stress but the rewards ended up being equivalent so it all evened out. Even so, I'm relieved to look forward to an upcoming, fairly clear calendar. For the past few weeks the Geo has been in and out of the mechanic shop in the frustrating quest to pass our emissions test before it became past due and our registration was revoked. After several "fixes" and more money than I can record without raising my blood pressure, the mechanics still couldn't get our engine light to go off, which is an automatic emissions failure. I believe in obeying the laws of the land, in being accountable and honestly responsible, in bearing my own weight in citizenship--I'm all blue in that vein--but when the letter of the law becomes ridiculous and the voice of reason seems to warrant a personal megaphone I can't help but put up an impassioned fight. So, after two failed tests and a past due date, I finally called the county emissions department and told him my concerns and frustrations. After many suggestions and a myriad of conversations he finally suggested that I apply for an Emission Hardship waiver. I was honest with him and told him we could afford to pay to continue searching for mechanical problems, it was just that I was sick and tired of paying for something that seemed to be of so little value to me. I asked him if he had a waiver for that!=) He was kind and helpful and understanding and held a lot of clout, so he walked me through the process of red tape (which took me two full days on the computer and phone) and then granted me a one year waiver. The same week, the brakes on our Suburban started grinding, so we had to have them replaced. On the way back from picking that up Fred asked if I had a couple of hundred dollars that he could throw out the window, just for fun--I didn't--I had already given it all to the mechanics.=) But, the timing was perfect because Mikayla called and asked us to pick her up from school sooner than planned and our waiver came in the night before the trip, so we were able to take the Geo down to get her and save the money on gas (though it was a miracle that Fred was able to pack all of her accumulated paraphernalia in that little trunk--he is truly amazing).

We're all so happy to have Mikayla home! 

Abe's birthday was on Friday and the pieces just seemed to fall into place to give us the opportunity to take the whole family to Roaring Springs. That day happened to be the one day of the year that Dr. Guymon makes extremely discounted tickets available to patients and family (1/3 the normal price) plus we had birthday date money for Abe and Mikayla saved up so we got to take advantage of that rare opportunity and had such an enjoyable day together.

Saturday morning was our stake Pioneer Day celebration but we were all so exhausted from the full week and our house was so neglected that we opted to sleep in a bit and then do Saturday cleaning instead so that we could be prepared for Sunday and still attend the last day of the Walker reunion that was opened up to extended family. Dana's family and our family were the only one's who joined in but we thoroughly enjoyed visiting and playing and eating with that big, fun group, especially having the opportunity to catch up with Mindy and Kevin, who live in Utah now.

The temple open house and dedication were announced this past week. The open house runs from Oct. 13--Nov. 10. A youth cultural celebration will be on Nov. 17 and the dedication will be Nov. 18. Fred and I will both be teaching in different joint auxiliary meetings next week to start gearing our ward up. It brings back memories of Trek and the spiritual preparation and time that went into getting us in the right mind set to have the spiritually, life changing experiences that we did. I feel a great desire to prepare myself and our family and our ward for what has the capacity for those same kinds of spiritual enlightenments for those of us who are already "converted" and eternal implications for those who we are inspired to invite. I am so thrilled at the opportunity to once again be in the House of the Lord, all together as a complete family, in preparation for and as foreshadowing of the goal which every other thing we do in this church is preparing us for. It is going to be profound.

Quote of the Week:
"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth."--Henry David Thoreau 

JULY 29:
Fred and I spent the week preparing to teach in different combined auxiliaries this Sunday, during the last hour. I had a co-teaching assignment with a brother in our ward, who is also a ward missionary and one of our full time seminary teachers, in YM/YW and Fred had an assignment with the ward mission leader and Elders Quorum president in Priesthood/ Relief Society. Fred said his class went well. Of course, our seminary teacher did a good job in ours and as is always usual with me I felt like I prepared more than I had time to cover and felt rushed.  I'm sure I learned more than those who I taught, especially since I only had15 minutes. Fred taught about the importance of temple covenants in his class and I talked about individual spiritual preparedness in mine. I shared personal memories of the original announcement, open house and dedication of the Boise temple. I showed the youth my dedication ticket, endowment name tag, and bride's letter from the temple. I shared the story of my cousin Nancy's life and death and the miracle of her preserved temple recommend. I talked about my experience preparing for Trek and the difference it made in the spirituality and impact of the actual experience. I asked for a raise of hands for those who were in the area when the temple was originally dedicated and also for those who were involved in our ward's  Trek. In both instances there were only 3 hands. I can't believe the area and our ward has changed so much. So many youth have grown up and moved on. It made me feel melancholy. Of course I couldn't keep my emotions in check, which is so distracting and frustrating to me when I teach or contribute to a lesson, but I am learning to just accept the weakness, get over myself, and rely on the Spirit to compensate for my lack of composure, hoping that is what people will remember and not my awkwardness. It has been a good experience preparing, but I am glad to have that responsibility accomplished.

The Olympics started on Friday and like the dutiful addicts that we are, have spent the last two nights emerged in the impressive drama. As amazing as those physical accomplishments are--and often I am truly inspired by the talent--wouldn't it be an incredible thing if more of us had the kind of commitment and drive in spiritual mastery as many of the athletes have in physical mastery. It would be truly awe inspiring, I am sure, and then think of the potential if we, in balanced proportions, mastered both our bodies and our spirits so that our souls were perfected. We spend so much time here talking about how what is on the inside is more important that what is on the outside, but I am convinced that perfection will mean mastery of both and that our bodies will mirror our spirits and both will be ultimately beautiful when we truly understand their divine, united role and work accordingly. I have so much to do in both areas, but the beginnings of desire are there. For now, I will still be content to be inspired and awed from my couch and be grateful that though I don't have a perfectly toned body, it still works pretty well, without cortisone shots, surgeries, braces, tape and incredible pain. I don't envy the toll intense athleticism seems to take on the human body. =) 

My girls all leave for the greatly anticipated granddaughter party on Wednesday, and will be gone through Saturday. Fred, Abe and I are already cringing at the thought of having this quiet house to ourselves. Abe and I will have to go in search of adventure I suppose, while Fred is holed up at work, but I don't even know where to start!=) Abe did just get back from a Scout camp-over, so he may be alright with low key adventure--maybe we'll unplug the phone and computer and spend some hours reading together in the hammock...durig the day (gasp)--now that's my kind of adventure!...and Abe is usually pretty content with that pastime as well. )

Congratulations to Taylor and Aly, who had their baby on the 24th. At my request, he sent me all of the pictures that were taken that week of their experience. I can't believe he's a DADDY! I looked through all 200+ pictures and cried remembering him as a my sweet, little boy and most especially those incredible, life changing, personal experiences of becoming parents for the first time ourselves, and of my own sweet, little boy. BEST--DAY--EVER!=) It sure has been a journey and we've come a long way since those days 21 years ago. It just keeps getting better and better!

Quote of the week:
(This poem is said to have been inscribed on the wall of John Bunyan's church in Bedford, England in the 1600's. Pres. Kimball quoted it in several temple dedications in the 1970's and 80's, but I believe the authorship is unknown. I want the quote and the feeling in my home--LONG WAY TO GO!)

"Enter this door as if the floor within were gold;
And every wall of jewels all of wealth untold;
As if a choir in robes of fire were singing here;
Nor shout nor rush but hush … for God is here."

ABRAHM'S SCOUT CAMP-OUT AT BLUE LAKE:

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.