Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Birthdays, Baptisms and Blessings

It was Jordan's 21st birthday yesterday. I was thinking about him all day, (not that that is a monumental occasion =) and pondering what it is specifically that I love most about him and of course I could think of a long list before I had barely started, but the truth of the matter is that the reason I most love him is simply because he is mine. And that has given me an added insight into the love our Heavenly Father has for each of us, simply because we are his. Satisfaction, peace, hope, joy and so many other feelings are strengthened by the behaviors of our children--by His children--but love has no strings attached. We love our children--He loves His--because they are literally a part of us. If I love my boy this much--if I have this boundless love for all of my children,  I can only imagine how much our Heavenly Father loves each one of us. I am so thankful for my children and for being a Child of God.

This weekend was crazy and busy and fabulous. Fred and I went on our date Thursday, since the weekend was packed. We went to see the movie War Horse. I was a bit anxious because of the themes and because of the rating, but I had reviewed it meticulously. It was exceptionally hard and beautifully done, if you can say that about a movie that shows the waste and evils of war. I was impressed with the restraint used in being visually graphic, but it was no watered down version of war. It was personal and emotionally painful and incredible food for thought. Of course the fact that all the young men were close to Jordan's age and the main character reminded me of Jet, didn't help my emotions, but we had to wait until the credits were almost done rolling just so I could get enough control to walk out of the theater without making a scene. I would never put that weight on my youngest children, but it was a good reminder that no one wins in war and that life--all life--is precious.

We are so glad Mikayla was able to make it home this weekend. She thought she had a ride to come down for Lily and Sophie's baptism, but Monday she found out that there was some miscommunication and the ride was actually going to SLC, not Boise. I'm not sure how that difference could be misinterpreted, but weirder things have happened. That started some stress here at home, and both Mikayla and I were searching and scrambling, but by Wednesday evening we were getting really nervous and had to start looking at all of our options. I sat Lily and Sophie down and started laying out the different choices, but when I got to the awful choice of going ahead without Mikayla, Lily dug in her heels and said, "No! No way! I am not getting baptized without Mikayla!" You don't cross Lily, so we immediately dropped that option, since it wasn't a good one anyway and luckily didn't have to go through with any of the other options as our prayers were answered by the co-worker of the father of a Middleton boy who was also trying tirelessly to get home. Our prayers are constantly answered by people around us.

It was so nice to have all of the family in town, as well as Mom and Dad come for the baptism. It was so nice that you could all help to make the rushed dinner happen and it was so nice to be at the YW conference with the Mom's and teen girls. It wasn't relaxed, but warming just the same. The baptism was a sweet experience and I felt the implications even more keenly, I think because these little girls are my last. I feel so blessed to have the responsibility of these two-at-a-time at the end of this phase of motherhood. 

Yesterday a friend of Mikayla's had his missionary farewell and a friend of Jordan's had his homecoming--both at the same time but different places. We stayed for Mikayla's friend, since he was leaving and then quickly drove over to another building so we could visit Jordan's friend after his meeting. He will be coming over for FHE tonight to share some of his mission experiences with us and we are so excited. 

Mikayla had to leave during the block so we took the other kids back to their classes at our ward building and then Fred and I brought Mikayla home for her ride pick-up and then we went back to church. Fred got pretty teary eyed as he backed out of our driveway. Those father/daughter--mother/son relationships are something unique. Our children are our world. She'll be back in 2 weeks for her Spring break. The other kids are out this week. We had a few promising days of weather, but the forecast is threatening the usual Spring break weather of rain. No matter what the weather does, we are going to enjoy being together. Of course Fred doesn't get time off, but we'll party with him when he's here.

A funny thing happened yesterday. At the beginning of our sacrament meeting our Bishop called up Sophie and Lily to recognize them for being baptized. We were sitting on the very back row of the chapel, and they were sitting next to each other in the middle of the row, so when they heard their names they both stood up, immediately turned opposite ways and simultaneously walked up both aisles to the stand. There was a soft chuckle and I heard a few, "that's so cute" comments. It was kind of humorous. They didn't seem to think anything of it. Independent little girls.=)

I am anxiously anticipating the next few weeks and months: General Conference, Easter, Mikayla home for break, and summer just around the corner. The symbolism of the sun and it's effect on our physical and emotional well being and the Son and His effects on our spiritual well being (which encompasses all of our "being") is never as profound as it is when Spring is preparing to emerge. That warmth and light and life is an amazing source of power and with it comes such hope. I love this gospel. I love my Savior. I feel truly blessed.

Quote of the week: "Those who are ruled by others are called slaves, those who are ruled by self are called knaves, but those who are ruled by God are called free men." (may not be an exact quote and I didn't catch who he was quoting, but something I heard Bishop Porter (Middleton 4th ward Bishop) say as we slipped into Luke's ward at the close of their sacrament mtg. and which I thought was profound.)

BAPTISM DAY
Lovely Lily

Sweet Sophia
My polar peas in a pod
At the church



No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.