Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Life Is But A Dream

"Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream, merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily--life is but a dream." That is a dream, but not my life!

Friday afternoon, three other ladies and myself loaded into an Excursion, filled with some mysterious oil "coctail", instead of diesle,  and headed to Rexburg to see Mikayla and two of her roomate friends perform in their first ICover concert. The adventure started in Mountain Home, when the oil concoction acted up and we lost power, but the "tough girl" driving, found an auto parts store and climbed under the hood--literally--and changed the fuel filter, while the burly workers looked on with perplexed confusion of why we were burning oil, not diesel.  I just sat in the car, saying prayers and hoping that anyone knew what they were doing. Apparently they did and we made it into Rexburg and back without further troubles--at only $17.50 per person! I don't know what burning oil does to a car's life, but it didn't damage mine, so it's all good.

We pulled in around 8:00 pm and started winding down for the evening, but in the spirit of true college life, our BYU-I girls were just winding up. They left at 10:00 pm for a band practice, which was followed by a birthday party, which was followed by a movie. I checked out much earlier, but Mikayla finally joined me in her dorm-size bed, her at the head, me at the foot sometime during the early morning hours. She seemed to sleep soundly and I slept like I do when camping--up every hour from 5:00 am on, anticipating the morning with eagerness, just so I could drag my stiff body out of bed and end the discomfort.=) And yet, what fun it was! Some of us out-of-towners went to the temple that morning, which was filled with youth temple workers and patrons and St. Patrick's Day wedding parties. Anything good plus youth equals something glorious--and it was. I sat in the Celestial room, which was overflowing with youth reading and contemplating and praying, and felt brimming with hope and appreciation for the gospel and this generation--of which my children are a part--that awes and inspires me.

We returned by lunchtime and split up into families for a little while. Mikayla and I fixed lunch in her apartment then she took me on a walking tour of campus and we  wandered and talked. What a great experience to have that one on one time again! We ended up at the Manwaring Center where we bought pudding and found a gorgeous window nook to eat in and finally realized that time had gotten away from us, as it often does when you are absorbed, so we hurried back to her place at the Colonial, where she got ready for her scheduled sound/light check and left with her roomy band members for a few hours. I snuck in a good book and a short nap. The band girls came home with just enough time to eat dinner and head back up to campus for thier early check in. We didn't see much sense in waiting around so we walked up early as well and were at the front of the line when the doors opened. Being the "adults" that we are we chose auditorium seats and then watched the audience pour in with blankets and pillows and all kinds of energy as they spread out all over the bare main floor and into the rest of the auditorium. I saw a few of my favorite Middleton youth, which was delightful. Pre-sold tickets numbered over 1,000, but they had to start the show ten minutes late because the line to get in was so long. Who knows how many were actually in attendance. I believe the auditorium holds about 4,900, but it wasn't full. There was definitely a weekend party atmosphere going on. It was fun to sit there enjoying the energy and remembering those exciting time, but I was perfectly content to be a mother in the audience--I wouldn't want the whole cumulative experience back--maybe just bits and peices. =)

Thirteen auditioned bands played that night for an hour long concert. Mikayla's band ("A Blonde, A Brunette and A Redhead") was number nine. There was quite a variety of music--some which I really enjoyed--others which were just noise to me, but our girls were just giddy to be a part of it all. Their peers were literally at their feet, with their hands in the air, cheering them all on, and when the audience vote came in (all done with cell phones) they won 3rd place and a band cover photo shoot. I think they were in shock after that--they were still trying to come to grips with even making it past auditions and I don't think the idea of winning ever even entered their minds, so that was FUN!!! It really was quite magical. We left them at a dance that was too energetic for me and drove back that night, getting back to Middleton at 4 am. I'm still exhausted and stiff, but I'm so glad I didn't let that opportunity pass me by. Mikayla was a star for a night at BYU-I. She's a star for us always.

Meanwhile, in Middleton on Friday, A shy young man, who happens to be a Senior, was backing a boom truck (a massive board, painted with Eden's name attached to the crane) into the Seminary parking lot to ask her to prom. She's only a sophmore so she wasn't expecting that but what fun to get that kind of positive attention in front of all of your peers. She's excited. The young man's mom told me that he has only been on two dates during all of his high school years--one with Mikayla--one with Eden. This will be his 3rd date and possibly one of his last as he is working on his mission papers. His mom said he was exceedingly nervous, though I can't think why. He's often painfully quiet, but he seems comfortable enough around my kids that I've even seen a quirky sense of humor a few times. And luckily, there are never awkward silences when you are with Eden,=) so I am sure they will have fun. Besides, he's a smart boy and ensured a "yes'" by asking a sophomore (whose friends can't go to the Junior/Senior dance w/o invitation) and by asking her over a month in advance!=) He's on my brownie points list for giving us that kind of time to find a dress. In all these cell phones that are constantly glued to these kids, I'm still trying to track down a picture that hopefully somebody took of the whole experience. I hope one exists.

Another fun weekend coming up. Today is the first day of Spring and there is a white blizzard outside? Mikayla is coming to town, Lily and Sophie are getting baptized, and Georgie is turning 21! How did I even get this age. Mid-life is certainly a roller coaster and for this brief moment we seem to be climbing. Hope it last for a while before the next stomach dropping descent.

Girl Band "A Blonde, A Brunette, and A Redhead"
video
A Video Clip of the ICover Atmosphere

video
Video footage on the stage screens to announce the girls band
Five minutes after the Third Place announcement and still ecstatic!
Clearer shot--but the expressions aren't quite as candid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.