Monday, January 23, 2012

Every Minute of Every Day

I had 3 different meetings before church even started today and there was a Seminary Anniversary broadcast after the block, so I have now been in meetings for 7-1/2 hours. Oddly enough, those busy Sundays are the ones that I really love as they make me feel invested. Of course meetings aren't worth much if you don't put principles into practice but I guess even a year later I am still having withdrawals from the busy climate of serving in the YW. =) However, the ward missionary program seems to be gaining momentum and they have asked for Fred and my help. We are receiving training that our responsibility should be mainly in teaching and the burden of finding is supposed to be on the shoulders of the auxiliary presidencies. Am I ever ecstatic to exchange those roles! Teaching is in my comfort zone--"strangers" are not. We now have Sis. missionaries in our area. I have to admit I miss the Elders, but this may give me the opportunity to go on splits, which would be a fantastic experience.

We went to a thrift store yesterday, after we finished cleaning, to see if we could find a treasure. Fred found a vacuum that he spent the evening cleaning and fixing in the garage. I found an old frame and a picture easel that I am going to refurbish for my displaced picture of Christ. Eden found some lounge wear, Abe found a fresh notepad, Lily and Sophie found a pair of pants and the family found a few movies that fit our different interests. I wouldn't say there were any real treasures among the findings but it was enjoyable just being together on the hunt.

We haven't gotten any more snow since our white out, but it has been COLD and rainy a lot. The day it snowed I tried to be a considerate mom and ran down to the school in the car to pick up my little girls because they were worried about their new suede boots getting ruined that morning. In big, white wonderland, I was not a welcome site and Lily and Sophie complained all the way out to the car about how they wanted to walk home. Most of the snow had melted by the next day, but I didn't dare show up with the car to ruin their day. Needless to say were put out and wanted to know why I didn't pick them up. Sometimes I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle.=)

With Mikayla gone and Eden being the socialite that she is, date nights for Fred and I are pretty hit and miss lately, but we squeezed in a quicky between Eden's play practice and Tip Off volunteering. Abe ended up holding down the fort for 30 minutes between Eden leaving and our returning, which is weird to me that he is nearing that age of responsibility. I really think the change in him is going to blow Jordan's mind when he gets home. So many things change in two years.

Eden has a stake Priest/Laurel Formal this Friday. She is excited and planning on wearing one of Mikayla's dresses but she wants a different jacket as she says the bolero that I originally made to go with it is too restrictive. With her animated body language, most things are going to be too restrictive! =) I've tried to tell her that if she focuses on just acting like a refined lady, the jacket would probably be just fine, but no matter how I wish and dream, and despite the fact that Grandma Higginson's picture is on my piano as a reminder, I still haven't achieved refinement, so where she is supposed to learn the art, I don't know. Thus, I guess we'll be shopping this week. I'm a little nervous because she is so petite that even with her tallest heels the dress still drags on the floor and I'm hoping she doesn't trip on it while she's dancing, or that someone else doesn't. It's a fun activity and a great environment, so I'm excited for her.

Not much else is going on. We all miss Jordan and Mikayla every minute of every day and are proud of them just as often.

Quote of the week: "Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them." --A.A. Milne--

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.