Monday, January 30, 2012

Life is Sweet

Fred took me to see the 3D version of Hugo on Thursday for our date night. The story line wasn't riveting, but the cinematography was. They used the format in such a creatively engaging way, I thought. We had the theatre mostly to ourselves since we went during the week due to Eden having a group date at our home on Friday. The girls got a little nervous that nothing was being planned and took control. I understand their motives but I cautioned them from doing that in the future; I think it cripples a young man's ability to learn to preside. It's a precarious chicken and the egg thing and can be frustrating, but sometimes we need to fall on our face when we don't follow through on a responsibility in order to learn not to duplicate the situation the next time. I think the group ended up having fun together and I am glad for that. These girls want these boys to take control--after a date that is what they seem to be most or least impressed with. They are very quick to jump in when they see the situation is starting to flounder--too quick-- but they don't WANT to have to take that step. Even at this young age, organization and planning are a mark that you know where you are going and I think we're all attracted to that. You live and you learn.

We now have Sister missionaries in our area. They came over for dinner on Saturday. They are nice, motivated young ladies who were very friendly, kind and helpful. Eden really enjoyed their energy, and commented on how fun it was to have Sister missionaries when they left. It was refreshing that we got to hug them instead of just shake hands. The Sisters are already planning splits with me and so this is going to be a great experience that I didn't get with the young men, but I do miss "my" Elders. I feel a connection and affection with the young men that comes so naturally. Why is that? I felt the same way even in high school. Odd. I asked Mikayla for her psychological explanation and she said, "it's probably because girls are exhausting and guys are more friendly".=) Not very scientific, but as an example of the gender in question, probably true.

This year our stake president, who is an incredible man, asked us to back away from our preconceived notions of missionary work and set a goal this year to do what the gospel has always taught us and just make a new friend with no strings attached. For someone like me, who isn't good with "strangers" and experiences self-inflicted pressure with even the term missionary work, it is amazing how motivating and "freeing" that challenge is. I'm not great at making friends--I'm such a homebody hermit, but the friendships I have developed, in and out of the church, my neighbors especially, have been such a blessing in my life. They are all such good people and set incredible examples for me of true Christianity, thus helping me live my own religion better. Mys mentioned a few weeks ago that her stake president had talked to them about "uncircling" the wagons. I loved that description of reaching out and I love that we are studying the life of President George Albert Smith this year, who was such an incredible example of that life motto. The gospel has never taught us to be clannish but sometimes as members it's easy to drift to those exclusions just by being content; contentment never breeds growth. I am excited about the anticipation of making a new friend this year. True friendship can only bless my life. Hopefully it will be a two way street.

A new mission leader was recently called in our ward and he is on fire. We always end up having such meaningful discussions in Correlation Meeting and whenever I feel passionate about something I lose emotional control which I REALLY LOATH, so I was kind of glad that I had already promised to teach in primary when they asked us to do a role play for the ward during our 5th Sunday combined mtg. today. Fred said he thought it went well, but I know I would have been unstable. I love teaching but I don't like the vulnerability of wearing my emotions on my sleeve; I am sure it is distracting for those who are are trying to learn and it is so frustrating to me that I don't have the control that I want. I guess I have to remember that it isn't about me and I may have to accept that I am one of those teachers who slops and sloshes around when they talk about something intimate; no nice, pretty packages here, unfortunately.

Some of you may have noticed over the years, that I'm not a good "starter".=) I'm a great "planner" and a good finisher, but those initial steps are always a challenge for me. Fred and Eden got me started on giving our house a face lift when they re-arranged the furniture in the living room after Christmas. Fred has continued to motivate me to keep at it by being involved. This week I rearranged our picture wall so a picture of Christ is in the middle of all our family photos. I really like it so much better, both symbolically and aethestically. I had to remove 5 pictures to make it work, which I sheepishly realized were all of Jordan and he is still highly represented. then Eden's friends informed me that she wasn't fairly represented (which I already knew--I just used the pictures I had that fit the frames), but I will most definitely be remedying that this week.<:-o I'm almost finished putting together a decorative collage on the piano that incorporates some sentimental ancestry. I just need to find some more vintage photos and then I will be happy with that and will start on a project with heirloom doilies for a headboard in me and Fred's bedroom. There is so much that can be done with our house to make it more appealing and the more beautiful we make it the more peaceful it feels. I love working on projects if someone else is involved so it becomes a quality time--forging relationships kind of an activity (you can hear my blue personality screaming, I know) but I don't do so well on my own, which makes things difficult since I am home alone much of my days. I hope Fred stays involved so I can continue the momentum of making this house into a home. I miss Mikayla being my right arm in that regard.

Yet another young Middleton "farm boy" has received a mission to Chile in one of the Santiago missions. So many of our young men seem to be called to that country lately. It's incredible and so fun for Jordan and for us. Life is sweet.

Quote of the week:
"Life is about dreams.....teaching is about making them come true."

Picture Wall Redone
Centered around Christ--Eyes Raised to the Temple
Bookcase Finally Finished Except Knobs
(which will be oil rubbed bronze)
End Table Project in Progress
FAMILY MEMORABILIA WALL (Piano Painting Plans Ahead)
Gifts From Family: Wall top decorations-- minus roses and white pots--floral arrangement, stand, runners, bird, books, and round mirror from Mom. Wall clock, front easel, couple statuette and dried roses from Fred. Seed ball from Marg, black frame from Liz, gold frame from Becky. White pots from Mikayla and mother statuette from Jordan. Wall art (my money) and Eden's good taste and highly persuasive influence=) Heirlooms: Grandma Jones' curtain in large frame; Journals/ Bound Histories; Engagement photo of Grandma and Grandpa Higginson.; Great Grandma and Grandpa Nielson in small frame which needs painted black or gold. Still Tracking Down Ancestral Pictures for Gold Frame
DECORATIVE AND FAMILY HEIRLOOM DOILIES
I've been trying to figure out how to mount this above my bed and still have the wall show through. I'm stumped so I may have to frame them indivdually, and since square frames are hard to find, Fred may have to hand-make them all. Yikes. Any ideas?
My "Silver" Christmas Present from Mom--Framed...
...And on the Wall
Flowers from Fred--just because......to replace the pink Gerbera daisies from last week.....which replaced the ivory roses from the week before...=)

Lily and Sophia's Diorama's--They Were so Proud!
 (Sophie was sick at picture time)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated on this blog which may mean a brief intermission before the comment shows up on the page.